FanStory.com - Unhappy Holidays Acknowledgedby Elizabeth Emerald
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When to refrain from Christmas cheer
Unhappy Holidays Acknowledged by Elizabeth Emerald
Artwork by Angelheart at FanArtReview.com

Yesterday, while walking past the pond, I chanced upon Susan, who lives across the way. Her five-year-old son and three-year-old daughter were scampering boisterously ahead.

Tom was two-and-a-half when his father died, Linda had not yet been born; Susan had learned of her pregnancy four days after she found her husband dead on their bedroom floor.

Her next door-neighbor heard Susan's screams; Michael rushed over and called for help, though it was clear Larry had been dead for several hours. A few months afterwards, Michael let slip that Larry was a heroin addict and had died of an overdose.

When I crossed paths with Susan yesterday, she stopped to thank me for the Christmas card I'd sent.

Not this past Christmas; the one two years prior. 

Larry had died on Labor Day 2018; when Christmas was pending I thought of Susan, by then four-months pregnant, her grief trumping what should have been a happy period of anticipation.   

I selected a blank card from my Christmas-less stash and wrote a "booster" note of condolences; my message (paraphrasing): This Christmas sure sucks for you.

Susan said that "Christmas" card was the only one, among the dozen she'd received, that she hadn't chucked in the trash forthwith.

Moral of the story:

At times like these, ho-ho-ho ain't the way to go (else you'll get the big heave-ho)





 

Recognized

Author Notes
Geometric Rainbow by Angelheart on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

     

© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement