FanStory.com - Ednaby damommy
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Contest Winner
Edna by damommy
True Story Contest contest entry

May I present Edna who has been in the family longer than I have.  She was a birthday/Christmas present for my mother in 1931.
 
For several weeks, Edna had sat in the store window in the small town where my mother grew up.  Every day on the way to and from school, she passed this window and saw her sitting there, waiting for someone to claim her.  “Edna” was embroidered on the bib she wore.
 
It was during the Depression and times were hard.  There was little to buy and even less to buy it with, and Mother had no hope of having the doll for herself. She was sure that another little girl, who came from a wealthy family, would have Edna as her own.
 
In the days when every penny counted, and counted a lot, my grandmother went to the store and put Edna in lay-away.  Every week, she paid twenty-five cents until the $4.00 was paid in full.  Quite a feat in those days!  Whenever Mother told this story, I could see the joy in her face that Christmas Day. 
 
Periodically, Mother and I would go to thrift shops and buy Edna new clothes and shoes.  The years have taken their toll on some of Edna’s features, and her legs must be covered with tiny stockings, as she has bad places on her legs. She must wear a little hat at all times as well because of the places on her head.  She has a cloth body with porcelain head, arms, and legs, and wears a Toddler 3 size, the same size I wore when I started first grade.  Still, she looks very good for ninety years old.
 
Edna has always been a member of our family.  I have her now.  I promised I would always keep her safe.  She sits in a little wooden rocking chair that Mother had since she was two years old.  I change her clothes according to season, and yes, I even talk to her.  What stories she could tell, if only she could speak.  She deserves the respect due a lady of her age.

 

Recognized

Author Notes
Edna sits in the living room in her little rocking chair. I hope to pass her on to my granddaughters.

     

© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement