FanStory.com - A Christmas Gardenby GollyGreen32
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
This is my short story about a classroom activity.
A Christmas Garden by GollyGreen32
    X-Mas Phoneme and Phonics Challenge Contest Winner 

One day after Thanksgiving break, Miss James read a book to her third-grade class about the plants and decorations that people show at Christmas.
 
“Can we plant a Christmas decoration garden?” Tim asked.

“That is so silly!” Kya said.  “You hang decorations.”

 “I know that!” Tim said.

 “That’s a great idea, Tim!” Miss James said. She lay the book in her lap. “What should we plant in it?”

 “I can plant the string of lights that my mom gave me for my room,” Tim said. “It uses batteries.”

 Miss James smiled. “Gardens do need light. Thank you, Tim. That’s a good start. What will you plant, Kya?”

“I can plant my little pinecones that I collected,” Kya said. “My mom and me painted them silver.” She sniffed. “At least you might find those in a garden.”

“You’re so right, Kya,” Miss James said. “Thank you.”

“I can plant my fake snow that my mom and me made,” Jane said. “We had extra.”   

“I can plant my glow-in-the-dark stars,” Mark said.

“Thank you, Jane and Mark. Christmas gardens absolutely do need snow and stars,” Miss James said. “Class, you’ve picked some great stuff to plant in it. It’ll be wonderful.”

The next day, the class brought their things to class.

Miss James even brought four tiny trees. “I found them in my extra decorations box. What do you think, Class?”

“Thank you, Miss James. Christmas gardens do need green,” Tim said.

Miss James smiled. She walked to the long table at the back of the room. “We can plant our garden here.”

“Who should go first?” Kya asked.

Miss James rubbed her chin. “Hmmm…. Let’s go from the sky to the earth, so Mark should go first.”

Mark stuck his stars on the wall behind the table.

“Miss James should go next,” Mark said.

“No, she shouldn’t. Snow comes from the sky,” Kya said. “Jane is next.” 

“You’re right again, Kya, but Jane can plant her snow last.”

“Why?” Kya asked.

Miss James set her trees on the table. “The snow is like frosting on a cake. It goes on last and makes the cake sweeter. Now, Tim should go next.”

Tim laid his lights around the trees and turned them on.

“I’m next!” Kya said.

Miss James laughed. “Go ahead, Kya.”

Kya placed her pinecones around the trees. 

Jane giggled. “Finally. It’s time to frost the cake.” She walked to the table and sprinkled her snow all over the garden.

Miss James switched off the overhead lights. They all stared at their new Christmas decoration garden.

“My lights shine like little angels!” Tim said.

“My pinecones glow!” Kya said.

“My snow really sparkles!” Jane said.

“My stars actually twinkle!” Mark said.

Tim laughed. “Our Christmas garden looks more like a Christmas forest!”

“It does look like a forest!” Mark said.

“Class, our Christmas forest looks so magical. I’m so glad we planted this special place,” Miss James said.
 
X-Mas Phoneme and Phonics Challenge
Contest Winner

     

© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement