FanStory.com - The Smell of Deathby Sally Law
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Horrors of Real Estate
The Smell of Death by Sally Law
True Story Flash contest entry

I serviced a multi-county area in Florida as a real estate professional.

Summer house viewings were the most difficult, especially when unoccupied.

I ventured to such a place with a client, in the picturesque countryside. 

The fixer-upper was overgrown, and the cobweb-lined entry door was difficult to open. Worse, it was filthy inside, and carrying a distinct smell... that of decomposing flesh.

Following my nose, I headed down the dark hall.

Fear gripped me when I noticed the back bedroom was closed off, with rags shoved under the door. 

I bolted with my client, running in high-heels down the driveway.

Recognized

Author Notes
I called the Sheriff to let him know about the smell and asked him to check on the house. It turned out to be a dead dog left by the previous owner. I let the listing agent have it about this poor dog that had been left to die. All she did was set the sign in the yard, put a lock box on the door, and drive away. She never went inside to inspect the house as she should have. Realtors like that, make me furious! I filed a complaint with her broker, but not without giving her an ear full. Unfortunately, pet owners aren't necessarily good ones either.

Word count: 100. Per the contest rules, this flash can be between 98-102. Hyphenated words may count as one word.



https://pixabay.com/photos/horror-halloween-eye-head-monster-3690119/@pixabay.com

     

© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement