General Non-Fiction posted September 27, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Look quick before it's gone

Did We Have Fall?

by pome lover



Alexa said it was coming and she was right. She knows everything—kind of like Google, but with manners.  She’s gotten used to my questions and now says, “Good morning, (and says my name,) would you like to know the temperature?” I would, indeed.

I open my front door, and voila!  Heavenly cool air caresses my body that was primed for the usual blast of metal-melting heat. I revel in the coolness and immediately turn off the AC and open all the windows.

Glorious fall!  I love it. The reviving coolness after our hot, humid, wilting summer is a life saver. Many plants have perked up just in the past few minutes, which, I’m sure, is their way of saying, THANK YOU!

There’s a maple tree out front that turns a beautiful golden. When the leaves fall, I don’t want to blow them or rake them—just let them lie there until they turn brown. And I have to say, watching my granddogs romp and play in them is a yearly treat. (Granddaughter is now twenty-one, she doesn’t romp.)

A few years ago, a friend and I drove through Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, etc. in the fall and the leaves were exquisite.  I even brought home some bright red ones in my suitcase, to mix with my golden ones and put on my dining room table around a big pewter bowl full of pomegranates.

Sometimes our winters get cold, but if we get a freeze, it hardly ever lasts more than a couple of days, so most plants not only survive, but lots of times they still keep their blooms. Some years we go from hot to cold, and miss fall all together. Crazy weather.

So, fall’s short, (iffy) stay makes it extra special.  Summer often refuses to give up and bullies its way back, off and on, sometimes even through our winter season.  

I have a few fall outfits, but the season is so short, I rarely get to wear anything other than jeans. And now, with Covid, there aren’t many places to go.

Still, it’s the refreshing feel of Fall that I love, just being out in it—a fleeting time of gorgeous colors and welcome coolness—our temporary taste of New England.
 




The Four Seasons writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Consider the four seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall/Autumn. Pick one season and write about why it is your favorite in 500 words or less.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.