General Fiction posted September 26, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The four seasons /Prose

Seasonal Love

by zanya


Try as I might I cannot give my heart to capricious Autumn. Crispy dried leaves swirling daily to their inevitable deaths do not inspire. Swathes of evening darkness, descending ever earlier, send a chill down my spine.

Icy chills of winter induce runny noses, high temperatures and wheezing coughs. Windows frosted panes remind us of the mercury drop.

Summer  flaunts effortlessly her many and varied charms of scent and color.

Spring's arrival warms my heart. Showing up as it does following the dormant season of winter, it inspires new beginnings. The sight of the first green shoots of snowdrops in the as-yet dark evenings serves as reassurance that Mother Nature is still in charge, sending out her first troops to drive away the wintry chills.

As the sun draws a little closer each day the evenings lengthen, almost imperceptibly at first and then with a delightful flourish of extended daylight.

All living things respond to the increase of daylight hours. Dandelions push up through the chilly soil and cheer us with their bright yellow heads. Blackbird's first trills fill the icy chill of early dawn. Tiny buds appear on bare boughs. A flurry of squawking and chirping takes place among the hedgerows as furry and feathered lovers seek to plight their troth.

Spring's schedule is demanding, lovers to be wooed, mating to be done, eggs to be hatched and little ones to be raised. A lifetime's work.

Budding leaves on boughs and increasing greenery serve to shield new, young life from prying eyes.
The earth gives off a healthy, pungent smell following spring rain. Wispy clouds, not so heavily laden as in winter, flit overhead.

Daffodils' golden bells appear among the dark greenery.

Carpets of bluebells amongst the woodland ferns is a delight to the eye.

On spring nights we may catch a glimpse of March's Full Crow Moon. Sun's rays, though pallid, hint at summer heat.

Spring is a season filled to the brim with promise and hope.
********************************************


 



The Four Seasons writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Consider the four seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall/Autumn. Pick one season and write about why it is your favorite in 500 words or less.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by seshadri_sreenivasan at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.