Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 27, 2020 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna tries to regain her freedom

A chapter in the book Where Are All The Children

Anna's Attempted Escape

by Mistydawn


Shivering, Anna fastens her jacket around her hoping it'll curb the cold, empty darkness coursing through her veins. It's a familiar childhood feeling. An iciness that took years of unconditional love, and countless therapy sessions to thaw.

Everyone warned her about what rehashing these horrid memories might do. Her therapist even said, giving the speech would set her progress back, but Anna knew she had to do this despite the personal cost. Years ago she realized her mission in life was to be the voice for all the helpless kids and to make sure the fallen victims' deaths aren't in vain. Anna quivers as she presses the remote in her hand. A picture of children varying in age and nationality brightens the dark auditorium. A collective sigh echoes through the audience. They were relieved it wasn't another horrid photo. Anna knows several of the images are disturbing, but they're needed if she wants to make her message hit home.


"300,000 children are considered to be at risk. They include runaways, kids in foster care, juvenile delinquents, and children in an unstable home. Those who've been abused, neglected. The ones who crave attention, acceptance is in danger too. Many parents choose to shelter their children from the cruelties of the world, instead of warning them about the dangers, but their not knowing makes them an easy target for sexual predators."

She clicks the remote again. Images of renowned men pop up on the screen. "Many of these perps are family, friends, people with authority, clergymen, teachers, or coaches. People you know and respect, who'd you'd least expect." The photo changes to mug shots of the same men. The audience gasps. Anna changes it to another group they'd recognize. This is followed by their booking photos. "Hollywood has painted a fictitious image of sexual predators. If we teach our kids the truth, that the child molesters come in all shapes and sizes, not just what they see on TV they'll be better equipped to handle whatever comes their way."


Anna lets the information sink in and then changes the picture to a group of children. "Some of the girls were from different countries with similar stories like mine. They were sold to get their family out of financial debt or were forced to work to support them. A few were sold for drugs. The high-risk kids are from the United States and are a mix of boys and girls. A portion of them is lured into the life with promises of a successful career in the arts. A few offer modeling careers for a few favors. The victims are then told they have to sleep with different men if they want higher-paying gigs.

"Others are approached by what's known as Romeo Pimps. They're the ones who give their victims expensive gifts or woo them with money, making them believe they are a couple. They're often taken to exquisite parties, fancy restaurants and are treated like royalty. The targeted victims are more than happy to do a few favors to continue this lavish lifestyle. Before long, they are in too deep. They want out, but their daddy, their pimp threatens to show their family and friends incriminating footage of them if they leave.


"Some sexual predators will get their workers addicted to drugs and then order them to entertain a certain amount of men for their next fix.

"My handler was a gorilla pimp. They cut right to the chase by beating their workers down both mentally and physically. They then threaten to kill them if they act out. Sometimes the pimp threatens to hurt their family, beat, and rape their younger siblings if they don't fulfill his demands." The next photo is of a beaten child. The audience stirs.

"Seeing how broken these girls are, what's on the line for them, I knew any hope of being rescued was up to me. This is why I kept trying despite the anguish."


The picture changes to a girl running. "My next opportunity came a few months later. Finding the owner preoccupied with the delivery driver, I slipped on the nearest piece of clothes, a pink-lace nighty, and quietly eased out the back. My plan was to run to the hospital. It was closer than the police station, and I was told by the girls that they were obligated to notify the authorities if they suspected anything." Anna glances at the image and then says, "I remember it being a chilly mid-December day. The sun was bright, the sky was a beautiful clear baby blue. The traffic is moving at a steady pace on the road beside me the way it normally does, but unlike the normal polluted breeze, the morning air is so crisp, so clean that I feel like I'm in a dream. The birds are singing above me like they're cheering me on.

"It wasn't long before I caught up to the morning commuters. I zip back and forth trying to get through. Some yell to slow down while other onlookers gasp, but no one bothered to ask if I needed help. This confirmed what I already knew that I was alone in my quest." Anna wipes a tear from her cheek and then continues. "I was determined to make it this time, despite the odds."


"I'm halfway to my destination when every muscle in my body begins to ache. It starts in my legs and then moves up to my sides and my stomach. My chest begins to burn and my mouth, my throat is painfully dry.
Memories of the night I was caught suddenly comes to mind. Being locked in a cage for weeks and the agonizing abuse I endured quickly follows. I then picture a few of the revolting men I'd recently serviced. The horrid thought makes me shiver, but it also gives me the strength I need to push on. I have to make it this time I just have, I think. I glance over to find the towering, earth-toned brick hospital is just a few blocks away. Realizing I'm almost there. I quicken my pace. Images of me, finally being free flash through my mind as I race towards freedom."



Recognized


Child trafficking happens every day, but there's a huge increase in child abductions, kidnappings during special events.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.