Humor Flash Fiction posted September 26, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
356 words: Dory ditches Marlin and takes up with Ray.

A Fishy Tail

by LisaMay

Pun-Filled Short Story Contest Winner 

I always thought there was something fishy about Marlin. Was it his eyes, or how he smolt? It’s probably not my plaice to tell you, but Dory has divorced him. Beach me why she was with him anyway. I’m not shore what the attraction was, so it comes as no surprise that their marriage has floundered; it was all at sea for some time and now it’s washed up. It never really scaled the heights of passion and now it’s fin-ished. Such a sad tail; he spun her a line but it wasn’t the reel thing. 

Frankly, Marlin was a turtle pain in the bass, so it surfs him right that now they are sworn anenomes. Dory told me how shellfish he was, with a sense of entidalment. He wasted so much money betting on the seahorses and Dory eventually got tide of his gambling addiction. He was often in a crabby mood, too, and was never any kelp around the house. I’m not squidding you. 

He never paid much attention to her and was always octopied with other things. Salmon told me that Marlin’s sole interest was to bait Dory with his sharkasm. He kept calling her an old trout just for the halibut, and spent most of his time watching inter-net prawn. Holy mackerel!  

After the way Marlin treated her I’m not atoll surprised that Dory’s with Ray now. She doesn’t mind that Ray’s a bit of a chub, quite berley in fact, and occasionally has sea-zures due to falling off his pike, but he is much more sofishticated than Marlin. I reckon if it came down to sand-to-sand combat, manta-man, I bet Ray would win. I’m sure eel do the right thing by Dory and she can wave goodbye to dramas now she’s happy as a clam. Cod moves in mysterious ways. Dory has a new sense of porpoise; her motto these days is: “Sink or swim – seas the day!” 

Ray recently asked her: “Whale you be mine? You were mermaid for me!” Soon they’ll be offishially married. There’ll be a shellabration and everyone will get emoceanal. The world is their oyster.



 



Pun-Filled Short Story
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.