General Fiction posted September 22, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Justice steps up to help.

Mr. Justice

by teols2016

Craig froze when he heard gunfire. He couldn't believe it. Gunfire in the Supreme Court?

He dove beneath his desk, hearing his staff do likewise. Then, he realized something.

Carol was home sick today, but he'd seen her staff in the law library earlier.

Remembering Vietnam, Craig crawled out of his office, past his own hidden staff, and into the hallway. Entering the library, he saw three clerks huddled under tables which offered no cover.

"This way," Craig hissed.

No one argued. They followed him back across the hall.

"Inside. Hurry. Make room for them, guys."

He heard the shuffling before everyone was out of sight. The sound of gunfire was now joined by sirens.

"Thank you," a woman whispered from her hiding place.

Craig nodded. He and Carol Willet were ideological opponents, never expected to support each other. But, she'd have done the same. Craig was sure of that.



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized

#441
2020
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. teols2016 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
teols2016 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.