Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 13, 2020 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna relives her horrific childhood.

A chapter in the book Where Are All The Children

The Horrid Past

by Mistydawn

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

WARNING
Some of the suggestive contents you're about to read may be disturbing. 


Sniffles echo through the dark, crowded auditorium. A few stir in their seats. The speaker wipes a tear from her olive-complected face and says. "This is painful for me too, but it will be worth it if we can save a life."
Taking a deep breath, she presses the remote in her hand. A photo of a diesel pops up on the screen.

"Me and two dozen others spent the next forty-five hours handcuffed in the back. A picture of a lifeless body being carried from the truck brightens the stuffy room. "I was one of the few that survived." A young, dark-haired girl in ratty clothes replaces the gruesome image. Turning towards the picture she continues. "I remember waking up to the sounds of metal clanking together. I look around and find that I'm not in the church anymore. I then notice the floor vibrating below me the way it did when I rode in the back of Pappy's truck. The air around me is so hot, so still that I can barely breathe." She places her hand on her stomach. "The god-awful smell hovering over me makes my stomach churn." Her eyes drift to the back as she relives her encounter.


"Where am I? How did I get in here? Was I carried here and if so, by whom?" I'm trying to figure out what happened when I hear crying behind me. I try to sit up, something tugs on my wrists, pulling me back down. I glance over and discover I'm cuffed to a hoop bolted to the frame. I try to free myself from its hold, but quickly realize there's no hope of escape. I hear the sobbing again. Turning over I see a group of women lined up along the wall. Girls around my age are crying in the corner. Their long, dark hair is tangled, their filthy clothes are torn to shreds and their faces are a bloody mess. A million questions come to mind, but I was too scared to ask afraid of what their answers might be. "Why me, why is this happening to me, to us?" Salty tears stream down my cheeks causing my face to sting. I reach up and feel several large cuts in my skin. I look at the girls again. "Did they beat me too?" I feel a warm, sticky liquid between my legs. I see blood has soaked through my panties. My private area is sore. "What did they do to me?"

Fuzzy images come to mind. I first picture a fat man on top of me. He gets up and another man takes his place. His hair is long and greasy. His teeth are black slivers. His breath smells like rotten garbage. I remember breaking free of his hold and then running for the door. A man in a fancy gray suit drags me back inside. I fight to
get away. A strong arm wraps around me and then a cloth is pressed against my face. "Why did you do this to me Mammy and Pappy? Why?  Why did you let this mean man take me away? Why is God allowing this to happen? Is he punishing me for something I've done?"

I wake up to find a man in a nice suit standing over me, telling me to get dressed. Glancing over I see the other girls are gone. I then noticed my dress and underwear crumpled up beside me. My privates hurt worse than before. "Why does this keep happening to me? Are they giving me something to make me sleep? How will I ever get away if they keep doing this to me?"


The man drags me to his fancy car. On the ride over, he explains how Mammy and Pappy didn't want to let me go but didn't have another choice. He then said they're counting on me to pay off Pappy's debt and that I can go home when their bill is paid.

The picture behind her changes to a woman locked in a metal cage. Her hair is a filthy, tangled mess. She has a sallow complexion, sunken cheeks, and glossy eyes. Her frail, child-sized body is nothing more than a thin layer of skin covering bones. The audience gasps. The speaker turns towards them and continues. "I was taken to a shed where I was beaten, raped, and locked in a cage. Different men would visit me day and night over the course of several weeks. There were times I wanted to give up, put an end to it all. Some did. Others were beaten to death." A horrid picture of a bloody child lying on the floor pops up on the screen. "It's an image I'll never forget." The crowd moans. The picture changes to a little girl holding her teddy.

"I remember one little girl who came in. She couldn't be more than four or five. She'd cry for her mommy every night. After hours of sobbing, she'd pop her thumb in her mouth, grab the teddy someone had given her, and fall asleep. She wasn't the only preschooler." She clicks the remote again. Happy children on a playground replace the last image. "Most of us were between the ages of nine and ten. We were often traded when we reached puberty. A few were let go. Not being able to cope, many committed suicide, OD'd, or died of aids."


The next picture is a frightened child running down the road. I tried to escape the first chance I got, and several times after but being in a foreign country I wasn't sure who I could trust. One girl told me to go to the cops. Said she would if she could, but the men threatened to hurt her family if she runs. The way the other girls talk, I have a feeling that he'd threatened them too. I was scared of what would happen to my family if I did get help, but I didn't want to end up like the others either."
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.