Humor Fiction posted September 11, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A story that I hope is funny and sweet.

Date Night

by GollyGreen32


The customers gathered at the Night Life bar for happy hour and the Halloween party to follow. Witchy Poo, the owner, asked everyone to wear a mask and social distance, of course.  

Just after the full moon shined in the cloudless sky, Werewolf walked in the place and sat down at the bar. “Howl you doin’?” He asked the bartender, who was the Invisible Man disguised as the Mummy.

“I’m good,” the Invisible Man said. “You look like Snake Plissken with that eye patch, hairy face, and long hair. The leather jacket adds a nice touch too.”

Werewolf touched the lapel. “Thanks, I think so, but this mask throws off the whole look.”

“And what look is that?” the Invisible Man asked.

“That rugged and sexy look.”

The Invisible Man shook his head and set Werewolf’s Plaid to the Bone beer in front of him. “Want to hear a good joke?”

“Sure,” Werewolf said.

“Why are women attracted to mummies?”

 Werewolf shrugged. “I don’t know. Why?”   

Pharoah Moans,” the Invisible Man said and laughed.

“Oh boo,” Werewolf said. “That’s so corny. He took his beer and sat at a table closest to the door. The bar was a dive with the entrance below street level. He looked out the windows and watched the people walking by on the sidewalk above. He could see Hallow-queen when she got here. Her luscious red hair and deep brown eyes made him crazy. Like Charlie Brown, he was in love with the little red-haired girl, but he was afraid to tell her how he felt. They had been friends since childhood, and tonight he wanted to be his “other” self on this first date. To see if she accepted him like this. Witchy Poo was lucky to have such tall, vertical windows in the basement of this old brownstone. He'd much rather look at the New York skyline, but this was Hallow-queen's favorite bar.

There was Hallow-queen! He’d recognize those iridescent high heels anywhere. A few moments later, she walked in wearing tight jeans, an oversized, orange, and black flannel shirt, and a tiara that matched her high heels.  Her mask was black like his, and her eyes were kohled. Sexy as sexy can be.

Hey Were,” Hallow-queen said.

Hallow,” Werewolf said. “Who are you supposed to be?”

“I’m me. The queen of Halloween.”

“You certainly are that,” Werewolf said.

After Werewolf and Hallow-queen drank a few beers, the DJ, Caught n’ Candy began to play Michael Jackson’s Thriller.

Hallow-queen stood and grabbed Werewolf’s paw. “Let’s shake our booties and get sheet-faced tonight,” Hallow-queen said.  

Werewolf stood. “Let give’em pumpkin to talk about,” he said and smiled.

Hallow-queen laughed. “That was a good one.”

They danced until closing time.

You lifted my spirits,” Werewolf said to Hallow-queen on the subway. “I needed that.” She accepted him for he was.

“Well, you know what I say when life gets you down,” Hallow-queen said. “Eat, drink, and be scary.”

They both laughed.
 
 



Pun-Filled Short Story contest entry


I had such a good time with this story, and writing it gave me lots of practice with puns.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.