General Fiction posted August 26, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
200 words

Street Talk

by Wils


“Hey man, you got a light?”

“Excuse me?”

“You got a light?"

“Are you asking if you can borrow my lighter?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you know the correct way to ask?”

“Huh!”

“The correct way to ask to borrow one’s possessions is to simply say “Excuse me sir, can I please borrow your lighter.” Can you try that.”

“Um..”

“Give it a try.”

“Excuse me sir, can I.."

“Please.”

“Can I please borrow your lighter.”

“There you go.”

“And your wallet.”

“Excuse me?”

“Gimmee your wallet.”

“Didn’t we just go over this? What do you think would be the correct way?”

“Hey man, I’m trying to mug you. To rob you. Don’t you get that?”

“I certainly do. Like everything else there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. If I am to be mugged, I insist on it being done the right way. So, how should you ask?”

“Excuse me sir, can I please take your wallet?”

“Very good.”

“If I go through all that, man it wouldn’t be worth mugging you.”

“Exactly!”

The young man walked away with a smug smile, leaving the middle-aged gentleman scratching his head and wondering what just happened.




200 Word Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story of 200 words. not including the title. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 200 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wils All rights reserved.
Wils has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.