General Fiction posted August 13, 2020 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
MrBrown's Exclamation

A chapter in the book Felix and other Friends

A Lot of Cat

by Cass Carlton


My big tabby and white cat Nicky needed to go see the Vet.
So, one afternoon, after collecting the boys from school, I bundled him into the cat carrier and off we went to Mr. Brown, the local wizard with animals.

He was a Scotsman of rare talent with bird and beast, who could calm a slavering dog with just the sound of his voice and a gentle hand.

This was no hearsay, it was witnessed on more than one occasion.

When we arrived at the Vet's rooms NIcky was in fine voice, crying and pleading in the most heartrending tones.
The kids and I were nearly in tears, but it had to be done.

Mr. Brown glanced over to the tragic sounds and smiled his kindly, Scotsman's smile
. I took heart at his expression and comforted the boys as best I could.

At last we were ushered in to the surgery and opened the cat carrier.
Mr. Brown's face was an absolute picture as Nicky came out.

He was a big cat, but he seemed to take longer than usual to come out of hiding.
At first he just peeped out, his big green eyes wide with fright, but then, emboldened by my encouraging words, he began to slide out of the carrier. Slowly!!
As he came out Mr. Brown's eyes widened."Losh! he exclaimed, "what a great beastie to be sure."
Nicky looked up at him and "pripped" politely.
Then he jumped down from the examination table and subjected the room to a good sniffing.
Meantime Mr. Brown was checking his record card and writing the latest information about Nicky.
Then he bent down and picked him up, something I rarely did owing to his size and temperament.
That cat gave a casual lick on the cheek to Mr. Brown whose reputation as a wizard with anything four footed (Or winged) received another endorsement.
.Nicky spent the remainder of the visit on Mr. Brown's lap purring loudly and kneading his corduroy trouser leg.
He received a clean bill of health from his visit to the vet that day and lived another five years before crossing the Rainbow Bridge to Pussy Heaven.

Mr. Brown was still practising veterinary medicine into his eighties and passed away shortly before his 93rd birthday. Vale thou good and faithful servant. cheers Cass



Club entry for the "Visits to the veterinarian" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cass Carlton All rights reserved.
Cass Carlton has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.