General Fiction posted August 12, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A young child tries to say she's sorry to her departed Mom.

I'm So Sorry...

by Dick Waters


"Daddy, why did you bring me here?"

"Because it's Mother's Day."

"Mommy's gone." I looked at the cold gray stone with our last name on it.

"Honey, I know you are upset about her...leaving so suddenly."

"I miss her so." I tried not to let him see my tears.

"I know you have been upset. You need to accept what you can't change. I've listened to you some nights, crying in your room. Please honey, it breaks my heart that I can't bring her back."

"Daddy, I need to share something."

"Now is as good a time as ever." He set the plant down. "You and I need to talk more often. What do you want to share?"

"Okay...I do cry every night. Mommy used to come in my room to say goodnight. Even some of those nights, I said some awful things to her." I grabbed his hand. "Daddy, I've seen you crying too...that makes me cry even more."

"You're right. Other than memories, YOU are the best thing I have left."

"I wish she were here so I could tell her how sorry I am, and that I love her."

"Just say what you want her to hear."

"She can't hear me."

"Please Katie, you will feel better getting it out."

"Mommy...I miss you so much. I wish you were here with us. I'm ashamed of how I behaved. I'm so sorry." My daddy knelt to wipe my cheeks, and gave me a big hug.

Just then there was a wavering call.

"Daddy, LOOK, a Bluebird."

"Beautiful."

"Oh, my God...she heard me. She once told me that if something happened to her, I should watch for a Bluebird." I picked up the plant and put it in front of the marker.

I could feel my heart beating in my chest and I was having a hard time breathing. I looked at my Dad and saw the tears streaming down his cheeks. "Daddy, can we come here every day?"

I saw him smile and wipe the tears away. "We can come more often. Why don't you tell me when you want to come and we can, okay?"

"Okay. Will we see the Bluebird those times?"

"Maybe sweetie...maybe the Bluebird will enjoy our visits as much as we do."

"The next time we come, I know what I'm going to bring."



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.


Every day is a great time to say nice things to the ones we love.

(Image - Google Images)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.