General Fiction posted July 27, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Fond career memories

Dress for success

by bhogg


Dress for Success. Sounds like a pretty good topic for people in business. Over three decades ago, when I worked, it was the most popular educational offering in my company. Basically, the consultant/instructor came in, personally evaluated everyone in the class, and on day three, a Thursday, she met one on one with each participant and made recommendations for how you could improve your personal and professional image.

I wouldn't have given this class a second thought until two ladies from my department took the course. The suggestions made often were not followed. Not so with these two ladies. The following Monday, when they came back to work, the transformations were remarkable. There were obvious clothing and grooming changes made. It was like two different women. The changes were incredibly positive. Their ear-to-ear smiles told the whole story.

The next day, I was drinking a beer after work with our Director of Education, who was also my best friend, John. He asked, "Did Sheila and Ann enjoy the Dress for Success Class?"

"Did they ever! Ann's new hairstyle and clothing made her look twenty years younger. Sheila's hair was simply washed and conditioned, not stuck to her head with hairspray. She used about ten percent of her normal make-up. They both looked fabulous. As far as I'm concerned, you hit a home run with bringing that class in."

After a sip of beer, John responded, "Good, I'm glad to hear it. We couldn't accommodate all of the people who signed up for the class, so I've asked her back next week. I can squeeze you into the class. The instructor is good looking and single. You're divorced now for three months. I told her about you. She said she hoped you could attend."

Divorce is tough on everyone, but one thing in my favor was my circle of friends. So many times, people were trying to set me up with sisters, cousins, friends or friends of friends. In one case, a guy was trying to set me up with his ex-wife. Hmm, probably not a good idea. Here was John trying to set me up with a consultant who according to everyone who went to the class, was HOT. Sometimes those efforts just don't pan out.

"John, I'd love to attend, but I'm out of town next week until the last day she's in town. My airplane from Chicago doesn't land until 4:00 pm Thursday."

"Tell you what, for her, Thursday is a full working day. She's from Charlotte, NC., so she spends the night. We have a brief morning meeting and then I take her out to lunch. This time, I have a conflict, so why don't you take her to lunch. You'd be doing me a favor, and who knows...

The Friday came, and John came by my cubicle accompanied by an extremely attractive, and very professional looking woman. She was wearing a light gray skirt with matching short jacket, a simple white, shirt. The only jewelry was a strand of pearls and a watch. Nothing fancy on footwear, just black, high-heels. I stood to greet her.

Before John got a chance, she stuck her hand toward me and introduced herself. "Hello. I'm Cynthia, the consultant for the dress for success class. John is apparently going to duck out on me, and is going to impose on you to take me to lunch."

"Hello yourself. My name is Bill ...I don't view this as an imposition at all. Rather, I think this is a loss for John and a gain for me. Let me get my jacket and we'll head out. Do you have any preferences on food types?"

"Nope, this is your town, so lead away." We left John by my desk. He had a smile on his face.

In a bit of luck, I had driven from the airport with customers, so still had a rental car. Surely, the small Cadillac will have a more positive impact than my usual ride, a beat-up and worn-out Chevrolet station wagon. During my divorce, ex got the good car.

The place I chose for lunch was a restaurant that shared space with an antique store. Very small, actually quite intimate. Salads, or soup were the best bet.

Cynthia complimented me on my choice. "Thank you! John always takes me to places he likes. I've had about all the steaks, burgers and barbeque I can handle. You were very thoughtful to take me to a place you thought I might enjoy."

"You're welcome. I think you'll like it." Of course, I didn't tell here that since my divorce, I'd been trying to lose weight and return to my 'fighting weight'. Like John, I chose the location for myself.

We were seated at a good table. The wait staff knew me. The small talk was very pleasant. She asked me, "Have you gotten any feedback on the class."

"Yes, in particular from two ladies who work in my department. I don't know if you remember them from last week, Sheila and Ann?"

"I do remember them. I hope their comments were positive."

"Not only were their comments positive, but they took your advice to heart. In both of their cases, the changes they made were remarkable. What made me smile from ear-to-ear was the obvious delight they felt from the changes. I can tell you that they felt better about themselves. I teach a lot of classes myself, and I wish that I could make such an impact. Kudos to you."

In an almost oriental fashion, Cynthia clasped her two hands together, bowed her head slightly, and said, "Thank you. Your compliment makes my day. John told me that you couldn't attend the class, but I promised I would assess you personally today." With a warm friendly smile, she asked, "Would that be okay?"

"Absolutely. If you could make some suggestions to me that will help me as much as Ann and Sheila, I would be ecstatic."

"I'll give you some feedback, but just from a quick glance, I can tell you, it won't be as easy as the two ladies. Both of them just needed some minor tweaking. As far as 'Dress for Success' goes, you're looking great."

Her comments made me blush. "Well, whatever you suggest or mention, I'll take to heart."

"Okay, here goes. Some of my feedback is going to sound picky to you, so just consider it. First, I can tell you are recently divorced, just as I am."

How can you tell?"

"Easy, it's not just the observation, but the associated behavior. You can see the obvious tan line where your wedding ring used to be. It's not longer there, but the good thing is that you don't replace it with something else. You wouldn't believe how many men who've come to the class, wear school rings, bracelets, gold necklaces, or other extraneous adornments. Your jewelry is a simple watch with a sedate and professional leather band. Much more appropriate for a business professional."

Thanks Mom and Dad for my birthday present...Replaced my gaudy chrome and gold linked, watch band.

She continued, "Now, this is where you might think I'm really picky. I know this is the deep South, but you wouldn't believe how many men come to my class and their nails look awful. They're not cut, often with obvious dirt and grit under them. Yours are not. They're neatly trimmed and even look buffed down. Do you have them professionally done?"

"Ah...No." Thanks for this to my dad who was in the military. We used to have hand inspections prior to dinner. At your peril would you have long nails and dirt. At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about myself!

"Something else, and I really don't want to harp on the deep South...Your shoes."

Puzzled, I asked, "What about my shoes? Are they the wrong type, color or something?"

"No, no, no, she continued, it's just that they are cleaned and shined. My class is 'Dress for Success', you wouldn't believe how many men and women come to the class with shoes in terrible condition. It's especially true of the men. Yours are cleaned and polished. And oh, you wouldn't believe how often guys wear belts and shoes that don't match. Not so with you."

Oh, there's no way I'm going to tell her that waiting for customers at the airport, I had my shoes shined in order to kill time. In any event, this lady is making me feel pretty good.

Cynthia took a sip of her water. "Are you ready for more?"

"Yes I am. Salads aren't ready yet, so press on."

"Sure. You mentioned that you didn't have customer's in today, right?"

"That's right. I dropped my customers off at our guest facility and won't see them until tomorrow morning. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I just want to compliment you on your wardrobe. You're wearing a nice blue blazer with grey slacks. Your tie is incredibly tasteful, a red, rep's tie with stripes. Totally appropriate. I have to ask though, if you were with customers today, would your wardrobe change?"

"Of course, with customers, I always wear a suit. In my case, a charcoal pin-stripe, solid navy or blue pin-stripe."

She smiled before replying. "Excellent. Everything that I see certainly should land you on the 'Dress for Success' hall of fame."

Wow, I was just beaming...Feeling good about myself, even thinking about asking her for a date on her next trip or I could probably figure out an excuse for a business trip to Charlotte. Smiling, I took a sip of my water. On top of the world.

She continued, "Oh yeah, one last thing. I notice that on your shirts you choose spread collars rather than button-downs. That's smart. People with short, fat, dumpy necks should never wear button down collars."

Earth to Bill, "Down Boy...Down Boy."



True Story Contest contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. bhogg All rights reserved.
bhogg has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.