General Fiction posted July 21, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Fresh start - secrets revealed. (927 words)

The Past Comes Back

by LisaMay

Two women sit at a deserted bar Contest Winner 


It was nearing closing time after a busy night. Kimberley had just finished wiping the counter and rinsing some glasses. Now she was sitting at the bar, drinking an orange juice and wondering how to deal with the information she’d found out at home a few days ago.

Earlier in the evening at the bar she’d noticed a woman sitting by herself in a back booth and was intrigued that she was still there. Everyone else had left, even Kimberley’s father, the owner of the bar – leaving her to lock up.

Not wanting to rush the woman, Kimberley went over to her and said: “Hi. I’m Kimberley. Have you had a pleasant evening?” 

As Kimberley picked up her empty glass, the woman replied, her brown eyes assessing the younger woman: “Thank you for asking. It might seem strange, but I’m here for nostalgic reasons, and I’m not sure if they are pleasant or not. I’m hoping all will turn out okay. By the way, I’m Christine.”

“That sounds like you have a story to tell, Christine. I’m in no rush… I’m a good listener…”

“Pull up a seat then, Kimberley… unless you want to kick me out and go home.”

“Actually, going home is not what I want to do right now. I’m feeling pissed off about something. Oops, sorry…”

Christine chuckled. “Well then, it seems that we both have our stories to tell!” 

There was something about her manner that Kimberley warmed to. She knew she probably should go home and discuss recent revelations with her father, but she was still processing how she felt about it.

“Would you like the same again?… or would you prefer a coffee?” Kimberley asked politely, while thinking to herself as she looked at Christine that something seemed familiar about her. Had she met her before somewhere? Had she been in the bar previously? Had she seen her on television?

“No, I’m fine thanks… but it would be nice to just have a companionable chat. I haven’t been back in this town for such a long time… twenty five years or so, and I don’t know many people any more. Maybe only one or two, now.”

“That’s a coincidence – it’s my 25th birthday tomorrow,” Kimberley commented, and before she knew it she was blurting out to this stranger, this woman with the reassuring, kindly eyes, that her mother had died recently and while going through her possessions she’d come across a small package of papers and letters, revealing a family secret. She'd discovered she was adopted.

“Why didn’t they tell me? I should have been told! How can I tell Dad that I know? He doesn’t know I saw the adoption papers. It’s too complicated…”

Kimberley’s distressed voice trailed off.

Christine reached across the table and put her hand comfortingly on Kimberley’s.

“You’ve had a shock. You've lost your mum... and now this extra load. There’s always reasons for how people behave, why they make their decisions, and the impact on other people is often unintended. My own story might help you, somehow.”

As Christine began, a connection of sharing and understanding passed between them. Kimberley gripped the other woman’s hand, sensing that her story, too, might be rather dramatic.

“I hope you’ll trust me as I tell you this. Please hear me out without interruption. I’m not trying to minimise your feelings, I’m just telling you some facts.”

Kimberley tensed, aware that she might not like what she was about to hear.

“Twenty six years ago, after your father and mother had been married for several years, they discovered they couldn’t have children…”

Kimberley quickly interrupted. “How do you know this?”

“Just hear me out. All will be revealed,” Christine replied, soothingly.

She continued: “Your mother was my sister…”

Kimberley gasped. “I thought there was something familiar about you…”

Christine nodded. “Now you know why. Convention would say that I’m your Aunt. But this is the bit you might have difficulty with. Because Janet couldn’t have children, I offered to be a surrogate so she and Gavin could have a family.”

Kimberley’s eyes widened. It was clear she wanted to say something, but she’d been struck dumb.

“As the pregnancy progressed, I was caught in a dilemma. Much as I wanted my dear sister to have a child, I’d developed feelings for my baby – a new life that was part of me. When you were born I was in such turmoil! Should I keep you and break my promise… break my sister’s heart? I chose to run away… to give you over to Janet’s and your father’s loving care as parents, while I kept my distance.

I watched from afar. You are a beautiful young woman... I’m so proud of you... getting your degree, then returning to help your father. We all miss Janet. It was such a wrench when I moved up north, but I felt I had to stay away. When Gavin contacted me to tell me Janet had died, my first thoughts were of you.”

Kimberley’s eyes filled with tears. Her grip on Christine’s hand had tightened.

Christine filled in the silence. “Yes, I’m your birth mother. Please don’t think harshly of your father. He asked me to come back to meet you. He knows you should know. We were going to tell you together tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to see you, and now I’ve spilled the beans.” 

Kimberley gathered her thoughts. “What an amazing birthday present.”

“Yes, you were,” murmured Christine. Her voice was tinged with sorrow, but her eyes sparkled.




 


Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.

Two women sit at a deserted bar
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.