Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 4, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Could ghosts seek revenage?

Lake Lincoln

by HarryT


The entire town of Lincoln Valley was purchased by the Tidal Base Electric Company. Some former townspeople claimed it was very suspicious and far too quick. The company hastily constructed a dam and planned to open the gates, which subsequently would cause the entire town of Lincoln Valley to be submerged below the surface of a man-made lake.

None of these happening were known to the Perri family. The family was out of the country, sailing the oceans, on a 110-day Viking world cruise. It was something they wanted to do before the children were out of the house and on their own.

After docking in the morning at a Florida port, Mom and Dad and the two teenage children, Jim, 15 and Janice, 17 decided to drive to their Georgia home arriving late on the evening of the 26th of July. Being extremely tired, they agreed to leave the luggage in the car and go straight to bed. They had no idea that at midnight the electric company would unleash the dammed-up river and submerge the town forever under the newly created Lake Lincoln. When the dam was opened, the rushing river hit the Perri home like a speeding train. Three days later their bodies were found floating on the surface of the lake above the underwater town.

A year after the lake was created, Jeff and his sister Nancy were fishing. They were the son and daughter of Harry Schmidt, the Vice-President of the Tidal Base Electric Company. The two had been fishing together since their grandfather taught them to thread a worm on a hook. They loved to talk about life and fish on warm summer mornings. After trolling the shore and having no success, they decided to try their luck over the submerged town of Lincoln Valley believing that the buildings might make ideal habitat for their favorite small-mouth bass. The town was easy to find because the St. Paul church steeple still stood above the waterline. It was a warm day, after they dropped anchor, they stripped to their swimsuits and made several casts, but no bites.

Jeff said, “Hey, Nan, how about a dip?”

She responded, “Great idea and dove over the side of the bass fishing boat.

“Jeff yelled, “Wait for me!” and followed her into the cool water.

When he surfaced, he looked around and called, “Nan, c’mon, where you hiding?”

He swam about the boat, still he couldn't locate his sister. He felt something grip his ankle. He thought,
Must be seaweed. The seaweed wrapped tighter, then a hard tug. He went under. He tried to kick free and swim to the surface, but no luck, he could not break loose. He saw the sun wrinkling above on the water. He struggled, tried to hold his breath, but air burst from his lungs. He couldn't help himself, he sucked in and water rushed down his throat and into his lungs. That evening as the sun was about to set divers found the two bodies in the house where the Perri family had lived.


 



Ghost Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a Ghost Story. No limit on the word count. No poetry.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.