Writing Fiction posted June 29, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
We all need to respect what we have, or it will be gone!

Old Glory - New Mission

by Dick Waters

Final Words Contest Winner 

I nervously spied out my window. Billy Love, my neighbor's grandson, had the banned US flag draped across his shoulders. He's going to get shot.

The sight of the flag brought back memories of my family fighting in WWII to defend what it stood for. Billy's father was a Marine who was killed in Afghanistan.

Twenty-two years ago, the terrorists took down the towers in NYC. Who knew it was only a hint of what was in store for our country? They took over our country from the inside out. We were so stupid; putting up external defenses; including wars in foreign lands, only to have the president and most of Congress have five-word names. What a shame we lost the silent war.

I can now remember what woke me from my afternoon nap. I heard taps being played, along with the thump of a drum beating like a loud heartbeat.

Billy was standing in front of a sign, warning anyone who displayed the flag of the United States, would be shot on sight.

The news crews must have been alerted to his plan as they were assembled along the curb. I could hear the now-familiar sound of military vehicles closing in.

Despite all the commotion and noise in our neighborhood, I heard Billy Love clearly state part of what our first president said at his inauguration address --

"All I dare hope is that if, in executing this task my error will be palliated by the motives which mislead me, and its consequences be judged by my country with some share of the partiality in which they originated."

The sound of gunfire echoed down the block.

My tears soon reinforced the idea that this was going to be the day we started taking OUR country back.


Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death.

Final Words
Contest Winner


Photo courtesy of K.S. Brooks, Model credit Jeff Keller A similar story appeared in the 2012 Indies Unlimited Flash Fiction Anthology.

"All I dare hope is that if, in executing this task, I have been too much swayed by a grateful remembrance of former instances, or by an affectionate sensibility to this transcendent proof of the confidence of my fellow-citizens, and have thence too little consulted my incapacity as well as disinclination for the weighty and untried cares before me, my error will be palliated by the motives which mislead me, and its consequences be judged by my country with some share of the partiality in which they originated." excerpted from George Washington's first inaugural address.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.