General Fiction posted June 19, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sentence

Heartfelt

by zanya


There was a knock on the door.

Lady Elsie shivered a little. Then gathering her shawl around her shoulders, she dimmed the lamp on the table by the window sill.

Papa, Squire Edward, would have arrived in France by now. Had Mama, Lady Anne, lived a little longer, she would have rejoiced in her daughter's happiness.

Earl Antonio made her young woman's heart flutter. She looked forward to his arrival next month. First, she must deal with the knock on the door.

Though bewildered by recent events in her life, Elsie knew it was time to make a decision. She would have to be honest with Lord Charles, Papa's preferred suitor for her.

Tonight, Charles would propose marriage. Papa had made all the necessary arrangements.
She stood upright and attempted to compose her swirling thoughts.

A short walk to Papa's study would help to calm her, she thought.

Closing the large wooden door quietly behind her, she mounted the spiral staircase that led to Papa's study.
As a child, it always reminded her of a watchtower. The whole world could be seen from its turret window.

Lord Charles, proprietor of the largest Manor Estate in Neuville, did not set her young woman's heart alight. Papa, however, envisaged the two Manor Estates being advantageously linked.

Standing in her father's study amidst his legal tomes, her eye fell upon one entitled, 'Primogeniture.' Papa, having been, as he so often declared, 'deprived of a male heir,' wanted primarily, to secure his estate.

Just then the clip-clop of horses hooves could be heard beneath the window.

'Surely not,' she murmured, 'Lord Charles is not departing already before he has received my reply to his marriage proposal?'

Moving towards the window she glanced outside.
She gasped. It was Earl Antonio's carriage that was now exiting the entrance.' There must be some mistake,' she murmured.

Glancing at Papa's diary which lay open on the desk, she saw the date for Lord Charles' visit, Sept 17th, a week hence.

Her heart sank.

Sighing loudly, she murmured,' perhaps I can. like the heroines of old get me to a nunnery?'

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 



Sentence writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: There was a knock on the door.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.