Satire Non-Fiction posted June 15, 2020 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Memoir

A chapter in the book The Corona saga

This geek is chic

by Iza Deleanu

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Oh, brother, I am writing this story because I know many of you are going through the same struggles I have with working from home. I am not a geek, but in this case, I had to become one. When the offer to work from home comes across the organization at the end of March, nobody asked us if we were prepared for that transition. The Management presumed that everybody lives and breathes technology every step of the way. My inventory for this challenge: two laptops, one from 2010, and the other one from 2013.

Surprisingly the older one was the one chosen for this job. The 2013 fellow missed the updates window. My husband was supposed to take it to his work for repairs, but the IT Team, which was supposed to take care of business, was laid off unexpectedly. Now, the 2013 laptop was not working properly. The oldie worked O.K. for the entire month of April, but when May came, he had a nervous breakdown and refused to give me clarity and support as before.

My 2010 friend refused to do one more task for work, and in protest, it's showed me the same dumb picture plastered all over my work application. Funny, this image came up only in the remote section.

I went to see IT, of course. Because of Coronella, they had to schedule an official appointment with a special escort and disinfectant from the first step I took into the building and until I was out of the door: I am not complaining, at least they tried...

But here I heard for the first time this bullshit: "We can't do anything because this device is personal." I got sooooo mad! So it's ok to use it for work, but it's my business when it comes to repairs. "Hello?! My sweet baby got wrecked because I used it for business, right?" Then they excused themselves under the Privacy Act.

"Really? Do you think I'm buying this? Let's not forget that I am using this so-called Act every day. Give me a waiver to sign, and then you have no excuse". The bottom line, they couldn't help me! Their solution: "go and buy a new one!"

Thank you so much, like it's my fault that I am working from home. They told me that all the smart people grabbed laptops in the first week of Covid. "What the heck are you implying? Am I an idiot because I didn't grab one? Hello! I was not allowed to grab anything because I am very low in the chain of command. In fact, I am the one that receives the commands!"

Finally, one of my colleagues remembered that he has an extra company laptop that I can borrow until Coronella goes away.

Thanks, bro, you saved me! So I took the laptop, but surprise, I can't do shit because I am missing the remote connection. I am trying to install it myself, but it's not working because only the administrator has the power to install programs on this tool. I followed the provided instructions step by step, and surprise, they were freaking outdated! No matter what I was doing, I couldn't go past the download phase, which did not allow me to get even an inch close to the remote affair.

I cried again on my co-worker's shoulder, and finally, using the Team Viewer, he was able to install that damned remote connection on this laptop.

Now I have a tool to use, but my other problem is that I will lose my eyesight! I can't change the fonts, so I am writing ....blind. Lord, have mercy on my mistakes! You guess why I can't change a thing, right? I have no administrator privileges, fucking racist. Thank God it gave me this brilliant idea to zoom in the freaking text. So if you see my text at 200, you know why. This geek is chic, a little bleak, and not oblique, Halleluja...



Share Your Story contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.