General Science Fiction posted May 25, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
humanity seeks to save itself at any cost

Carl17820

by Shawn Luther

Twenty Short Story Contest Contest Winner 

The overcrowded hangar was stifling. The sickly aroma of sweat and lubricants assaulted his nostrils, coating the back of his throat. He grimaced slightly, fighting to retain his composure.

The woman ahead of him fidgeted. He supposed that she was aesthetically pleasing under the right circumstances. This was not one of them. Her dark hair fell in greasy clumps around her face. Her cheeks were sunken, her eyes defeated. He tried to feel compassion for her, but could not.

Overhead a voice boomed from the speakers, tinged with static. "Transport 137 now boarding. Transport 136 ready for departure.'

He quickly surveyed the room around them, calculating their placement. He leaned forward slightly. "We should be on Transport 152. In approximately 210 minutes."

The woman flinched, glancing over her shoulder with apprehension. Her eyes widened when she saw what he was. He gave her what he hoped was a non-threatening smile. She turned to face him completely. "You're one of them Terra-bots, aren't you?" She stared at him with open curiosity.

His eyes brightened in apparent pride. "My primary programming is to assist in the Terra-forming of New Earth. My designation is CARL17820, but I am called Twenty." He attempted another smile.

"CARL. What does that stand for?"

"Cognitive Autonomous Regenerative Laborer."

She looked at him thoughtfully. "So they integrated you with nano-tech. Interesting." It was her turn to smile. "Surprised that I know about that? Appearances can be deceiving. The funny thing about a global drought, it's a great equalizer."

Twenty cocked his head. "I fail to see the humor in the situation."

"Oh, it's there. A bit dry, perhaps, but tangible. By the way, I'm Tamara."

"I am pleased to know you, Tamara."

"So you were designed with emotions?"

"Not entirely. I was not programmed with existing emotions, but rather the ability to develop them naturally."

"An artificial construct, developing natural emotions." Tamara shook her head. "I don't know if I should be amazed or frightened."

"It is not my intent to frighten you."

"No, Twenty, not you. The fact that we have the science and ability to do so... a long time ago somebody once said that humans have an inherent desire to always prove that they can do something, that they fail to ask if they should."

"Ah." He scanned the room around them. Dozens of CARL units were dispersed throughout the crowd, all waiting patiently to board the transport ships. All were identical to him, all exactly the same. All created for the same purpose, with the same abilities. Yet he sensed a difference between himself and them, the slightest of variations.

"How far is it? New Earth?"

Twenty focused again on Tamara. "8.63 light years. At optimal speed, the trip should take just under two standard years."

"So it's in the neighborhood."

Twenty cocked his head slightly. "Following your analogy, somewhere in the city limits would be a more accurate description."

Tamara smiled. "I believe you just made a joke, Twenty.*

"That was not my intent."

"Which makes it funny." She combed her hair back with her fingers. "What do you think our chances are pulling this off, really."

"I am afraid I can not give you accurate odds, because all the variables are not known.' He paused, and glanced around them once more. "But I would say that they are favorable."

"Good. I'm just worried that in building New Earth, we're not incorporating the same old problems and prejudices that ruined our home in the first place. I would like to think that we've learned from our mistakes."

"Success is built on mistakes. Humanity is resilient, Tamara, primarily because it learns from, then subsequently builds upon previous mistakes."

"Do you think this is a mistake?"

Twenty attempted another smile. Not perfect, but it was becoming easier. More natural. "It is never a mistake to try to ensure the continued existence of a species."

"I'll agree to that, up to a point. But when one species seeks the eradication of another as a means for survival, then I start having issues with it all."

Twenty contemplated that as the loudspeaker above announced another departure. "Even if your survival on New Earth depends on it?"

Tamara didn't hesitate. "Yes, even then."

Twenty fell silent again. An odd feeling, like an electrical pulse, went through the circuits of his nervous system. Apprehension? Fear? It was unpleasant either way.

"Is there something that you're not telling me?" Tamara stepped closer. "Twenty?"

The electrical pulse intensified. Twenty was fairly certain now that it was apprehension. "If that were to happen on New Earth, would you try to stop it?"

Tamara stepped back in shock, then did something unexpected. She began to laugh. But the apparent merriment didn't match the look on her face. "They'll never learn, will they? I can't say I'm surprised, just disappointed. How long has it been going on for? More importantly, how many species?"

Twenty shook his head. "I do not know how long. And at least two species are being purged, both carnivores."

She clenched her hands into fists. "Short-sighted bastards. They're going to kill us all!" Tamara bit off her next words as the people near them turned to stare. She took several deep calming breaths. "I can't let them get away with this. I need to stop them somehow."

A new sensation went through Twenty, one he thought he understood. Pity. He felt pity for her. "I am sorry, Tamara."

She smiled at him. "It's not your fault, Twen--". Tamara was seized from behind, rough hands clamping tightly around her arms.

"The colonization effort has fallen victim to several sabotage efforts in recent months, which the government takes quite seriously. Upgrades to our programming have identified certain trigger words or phrases which, when heard, alert local law enforcement. I am sorry for your current situation, Tamara, but the colonization efforts must be protected at all costs."

Tamara's cries of protest faded quickly as she was dragged through the crowd and in moments she was gone. Twenty stared after her, contemplating the strange new feelings that she helped create. He was grateful to her for that. He smiled. It felt natural. More importantly, it felt genuine. He began to hum as he scanned the crowd around him. Only 135 minutes until boarding.



Twenty Short Story Contest
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Shawn Luther All rights reserved.
Shawn Luther has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.