General Fiction posted May 17, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short story 150 words

Train stop.

by zanya


John pushed through the crowd as he heard the train approaching.

Finally, twenty years of resentment for a father's absence were about to melt away. He would embrace his son Toby with a father's love.

He found a footing on the platform among the milling crowds.

He thought his heart would burst with joy as the train screeched to a halt. A smile lit up his ageing face. He craned his neck to get a better view of the passengers disembarking. Trains from London were usually crammed with commuters in mid- afternoon.

His phone pinged in the pocket of his overcoat. He took no notice. It pinged again. Rummaging nervously, he saw an sms: 'Eh pops, won't make it today, busy at the office.'

John punched the air with an angry fist, his own years of lame excuses now brought sharply into focus.

Gathering speed the train left the station.

 



Short Story(150 words) writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (150 words - title not included in word count) beginning with the sentence 'John pushed through the crowd as he heard the train approaching.'


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.