General Fiction posted May 13, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A contest entry

The Amazing Twenty

by aryr


"Twenty, calling on Twenty. Damn it, wake up. You are needed."

I was frustrated, maybe even angry. It was rather annoying to know that all he wanted to do was sleep, or, as he suggested, it was napping. Well, he had napped long enough, it was time to work.

Twenty had come to us on March 2nd, in the year 2020. He had proclaimed that he was celebrating his twentieth birthday. Ironically, he was indeed born on February 29th, eighty years ago. His name was Beaufort William Smythe.

He had been interviewed, passed the mustard as we like to say and was offered a position with our company. He had been given a choice to start on Monday, February 24th or the following Monday which would be March 2nd, 2020. Of course he chose the later date, so he could officially be considered twenty.

He was a spry eighty year old and as wise as the wizard appearance he projected. He had been born in 1940 and the world at that time was showing promise with computers. They were humongous but efficient. By the time he finished school, he was actually a whiz with anything computer related. He could take apart any piece of equipment and put it back together.

As time passed by, he adapted his experience to newer, smaller pieces. Everything was a challenge to him. It was interesting that he saw himself as the Sheldon Cooper of the television series 'The Big Bang'. Whereas Sheldon was a physistist, Twenty was a computer geek.

He had been hired to tweak our computers, which were in dire need of updating. We were more than happy with our twenty year old who was really eighty years old and went by the name of Twenty.



Twenty Short Story Contest contest entry

Recognized


Thank you for the art work called- Old man from the Sea by LittleBogie 007
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.