Humor Non-Fiction posted May 8, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A teenager is told to make her own breakfast.

The Recipe

by BethShelby


Mama, I’m hungry. Will you make me something to eat?

Christi, breakfast was an hour ago. I tried to wake you up. I’m busy now. Make yourself some cereal.  

I don’t want cereal. I’m sick of cereal. I need a warm breakfast. Can I have some grits?

Sure you can. Grits are easy. You’re thirteen. You’re old enough to cook. Make them yourself.

I don’t know how. Where are the grits anyway?

In the pantry, where they are supposed to be. There is a box in there. Read the directions on the back.

Okay, I found them. What do I need to cook them in?

A boiler. You know where I keep my cooking pots and pans.

Mama, do we have any yields?

Any WHAT?

Yields, if we don’t have any, I can’t make grits.

Are you nuts? What are you talking about?

It says right here on the directions -- I/2 cup grits, 2 cups water, 1tsp. Salt and yields, I cup.

 



Dialogue Only Prompt writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using only dialogue. No narration, descriptions, or sentence tags. Maximum word count: 1,000


This is a fair representation of a conversation I had with my daughter several years ago.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.