General Non-Fiction posted April 30, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One woman's respite from Social Isolation.

Dewberries and Dandelions

by davisr (Rhonda)


Hi, my name is Rhonda and I'm a Master Gardener Intern. Normally, I would be out attending lectures, weeding public gardens, teaching people what I've learned, working in Farmer's Markets, and functioning in a plethora of other useful Master Gardener Intern activities, but, like many of you, I'm grounded, locked away in a global world of social isolation.

I've planted a vegetable garden, which I'm maintaining with diligence hereto unknown to me. I'm engaging in weed and insect stalking operations, which is mostly a good thing, but is bordering on obsessive. Plus, the garden isn't growing fast enough to fulfill my needs. After all, you can only stare at your cucumbers for so long, willing them to produce so you can make pickles. I needed more to do.

Exasperated, I turned to Social Media, Netflix, old westerns, anything for something new, but my soul was not fed. I was at my wits end. I'm sure you understand; I was in good company.

And then I made a new find... Nature's freebies. My first discovery was dewberries, or blackberries. Our fence line was covered with them. For several days, armed with a bucket and covered in protective clothing that would rival any for medical protection, I took life and limb in hand and picked through the brambles for enough of these tiny delicacies to make jelly, wine, and a refreshing drink.

The activity was great, but short lived. What else could I find? Then I remembered a lecture in our Master Gardener class by Daniel Cunningham from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension that led me to another wild treat... dandelions. Known mostly as a weed, this flower is not only edible, but nutrient rich as well.

Back to the pasture I went with my bucket, but not so much PPE. No stickers this time, no frightening bug infested briers, but I planned to be wary of other pasture denizens, such as snakes and overly large spiders. I bravely collected scores of golden blossoms to be used for much the same purposes as the berries.

My takeaway from these adventures has been more than just the physical rewards of jelly and wine, more even than the exercise I so desperately needed. It gave me a great sense of connection, not with other people so much, but with nature itself. There in the pasture, or walking along the fence line, I felt less alone.



Recognized

#330
2020


I am a recently retired high school teacher and Instructional Coach.

I have started in a Master Gardener Class, which is greatly curtailed due to recent events. One is the activities we can do is write articles for Intern Credit.

I'm including my first one here for consideration and overview of you, my favorite peers. Feel free to be kindly honest.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.