Letters and Diary Fiction posted April 11, 2020 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Day 23

A chapter in the book The Corona saga

How to get away ... with murder?

by Iza Deleanu


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
I decided to document how this virus is affecting my sanity. So feel free to join me in this experience, I hope the reading will become funnier, then what I posted so far. Thank you for reading.
Day 23
April 6, 2020

How to get away with murder? I know I am not an original; somebody else used this title before, so sue me!

In Coronella time you can get away with anything, or at least is what some folks are thinking. Try that in Philippines they will shoot you on sight! Or if you are in India you'll get yourself a good beating. In Romania, they will give you a ... fine or a lawsuit. In Canada you'll get an apology, in the States depending on the state, you might get a fine, if you are lucky, or if you are not, you will get a nice and fine bullet.

Now let's go back to Coronella. Since everybody stays at home, the thieves are forced to apply for welfare, they must live too! Some of them are not happy with this outcome, and they risked it; and sometimes they get away with murder, when the robbery went west side!

In Romania you think you can get away with murder? Think twice! There was this guy, policeman, who came from Israel and infected the entire hospital with Coronella, because he lied that he never went on a trip for the past 10 days. He thought, he can get away with this crime, but guess what... is not going to. The state is accusing him of murder. The smart ass is going from the hospital straight to prison. If he is going to get sick again, no doctor is going to treat him ever!

Everywhere people are stuck together! Some of them were in process of getting a divorce, but now, because of Coronella, are forced to live under the same roof. My friends, if this is your case, you better let your family know, because you might not get a chance to divorce, you may lose your life in the process! So yeah, add to your list of things to do or check daily the following: old parents -  check; friends that are divorcing - check! Annoying kids out of school, yup, still alive and kicking, check!

We also need to do a check-up for people with pets, especially cats. The cats don't like their human to stick around in the house for too long! Now, because of Coronella, the cats went wild. So watch out folks, for the number of people that got hurt by their pets. I think these numbers are increasing. If you have pets from the Slivering nation, let's hope that they are in hibernation right now, the last thing you will want to deal with is snakes on the loose! Snakes and Coronella, double poison!

But let's take a trip around the globe and maybe we will have something to be grateful to Coronella.

For example, since Coronella hit the ground, in New Mexico (apparently the crime capital in USA), El Salvador, Honduras and Columbia, the rate of crimes went down. In some areas, local gangs have imposed curfew for the entire neighborhood to keep the rate of infection low. Let's go back to El Salvador, since the pandemic there were register only 65 homicides.

In Argentina the robberies dropped considerably. In mid-March, the rate dropped by 90 %, compared with 225 per day in the previous months.

Columbia reported 91 homicides between 20 and 25th of March 2020, compared with 206 during the same interval last year. The rate of assaults fell to 283 compared with 2046 from last year, also the robberies dropped from 5045 to 486 cases. Thank you, Coronella.

On the other hand, the cases of domestic violence are on the rise. In Argentina, the women that are abused and want help,  need to wear a red mask in the pharmacy: which is a code message for I need help, bring the cavalry, alias police.

In Brazil, because the flux of drugs stopped due to the fact that the borders are closed, the gangs started to attack banks and ATM's.

But as more people are laid off, I think the crime rate is going to increase, people will start to commit burglary, shoplifting, even murders; especially now when you can have a perfectly legal camouflage: the mask, gloves and the hoodie.

More over Police, in order to stop crowding the prisons, are not arresting people for petty crimes. So, thank you Coronella, you won again or maybe not?

Soon, we will see vigilantes coming out to defend their neighborhood. Maybe USA knows something that we don't! Just take a look at the rate they are buying guns. So yeah, I think you can get away with crime, during Coronella time, when the police are afraid to arrest people because of close contamination or because  the penitentiary are easy targets for Coronella.

Please folk, stay home and avoid an unpleasant encounter with a Coronella criminal.





 




For my readers and reviewers, please forgive me for my bad English, since is my third language, I am using this cheap excuse to ask for your help in correcting the grammar and the other mistakes.
I decided to document how this virus is affecting my sanity. So feel free to join me in this experience, I hope the reading will become funnier, then what I posted so far. Thank you for reading and let's stay safe my friends.
Also you can take a look at these two articles:
Resources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/world/americas/coronavirus-murder-latin-america-crime.html
https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2020/how-will-coronavirus-related-closures-and-quarantines-affect-crime-rates/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.