Romance Fiction posted April 18, 2020 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Billy and Cathy are devastated by a catastrophic tornado!

A chapter in the book Joined at the Hip

Tornado!

by Commando





Greetings, Friends!

Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie) and Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. It shall be an honor having you join us, chapter after chapter.  We hope to make you laugh and cry; yet, leave you in a state of uncertainty of what will happen next. As always, your suggestions for improvement will be appreciated. Thanks for reading and God Bless.

~Previously~

 
"It's a wild boar, Cathy! There's heaps of 'em here; yet, this one appears to be rabid. Don't move, and it may not attack. So, stand behind me, I'll move forward, then sling the lantern back and forth. Grandpa told me once, that rabid animals are deathly afraid of fire and water. I guess we're gonna find out tonight if he was right."

*Special Note*
 
Some words are written in a way that is appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, they are not always grammatically correct. Characters, at times, will reflect earlier scenes in their lives. They shall, as well, talk with the reader. Wider spaces between words are due to the use of fully justified formatting.
 
Rabies Brief!
 
To help you better understand parts of our story: Rabies is a viral infection that mainly spreads through a bite from an infected animal. Without early treatment, it is usually fatal. The virus can affect the body in one of two ways. It enters the peripheral nervous system directly and migrates to the brain. It replicates within muscle tissue where it is safe from the host's immune system. From here, it enters the nervous system through the neuromuscular junctions. Once inside the nervous system, the virus produces acute inflammation of the brain. Coma and death soon follow. Rabies is passed on through saliva. It develops if a person receives a bite from an infected animal or if saliva gets into an open wound. The treatment is to seek immediate medical attention if bitten assuming the animal is rabid. If the doctor finds infection, then as a rule he/she will administer a fast-acting dose of immune globulin, then follow up with an injection over the next few weeks. A small number of people have survived rabies; yet, most cases are fatal once the infection spreads. There is no effective treatment at this stage. 

~Chapter 3~
 
"Yikes! Quite a life-threatening dilemma we face, Billy. It's a situation that requires a choice between options, that are equally unfavorable and unsatisfactory. Sweet, Jesus! What are we gonna do?" 

"Geez! Normally, my first action would be to find an English professor who would explain to me what you just said; yet, no time for that one. So, continue standing behind me, and if it attacks, then run like a rabbit and ask your dad to call Sheriff Taylor, okay?  The moon is climbing above the trees and will light the ol' dirt road for you.  Throughout my sixteen years, I've milked cows, fed chickens, and slopped hogs; yet, I've never cut a rabid boar's throat."  However, my hunting knife is razor sharp, and if need be, I'll make this my first."

"Oh, my God!  It's attacking, Billy."

"Awe, c'mon, Porky Pig, 'cause there's a blank page in the history book for you.  Quick, run on home, Beautiful, because God's here with me." 

The boar ran from the road onto the bridge, then stopped short when it saw the lantern light. As I watched it slowly back away, scenes of yesterday became crystal clear. 
*******
"C'mon, Billy! Let's go kill us a wild boar 'cause we need meat for the table. I'll get the 12-gauge shotgun and shells."

"I don't think I've ever seen a wild boar, Grandpa. Would you tell me about 'em as we walk along?" 

"Of course, I will! They look kinda like our ol' hogs; yet, are aggressive and vicious animals by nature. Some attack people, and when they do, the results are injuries ranging from significant to serious to the lower body. This is because the average boar is of shorter stature. Should you be knocked down during the assault, the boar can easily slice your head, neck, and torso with potentially life-threatening results."
******* 
The boar backed away as I slung the lantern in front of me. Its mouth was open, tongue swollen, and saliva was drooling to the ground.  Its tusks were long, looked razor-sharp, and could quickly slice my throat. I began to swing the lantern in a circle, lost my grip on the handle, and it fell into the water below the bridge. The moon was full, bright, and that's the only light I had. 

The boar hit me like Grandma does with her broom at times. It knocked me to the ground, then quickly sank its tusks deep into my shoulder. Blood ran down and all around on my body. It continued to slice me here and there. The pain was excruciating; yet, I thrust my knife into the boar's heart. I tried standing; but was too weak, and sank back to the ground. The moon hid its face behind a cloud as darkness walked into my eyes.    
*******
Two days later, I woke up at the hospital in Gatlingurg, Tennessee. Cathy, Grandpa and Grandma, were by my side. 

"Hurrah," Cathy exclaimed!  "You finally woke up. We've been so worried about you, Honey."

"Aww, I'm alright, Beautiful. It's the rabid boar who walks around no more."

"Oh, that's for sure, Billy; but, he left his mark. You've got multiple gashes and wounds; yet, luckily, you're gonna be okay," remarked Grandpa. "Once the bandages are off, you'll see just how many stitches you needed. Now, for the good news, the doctor say's you'll be able to go home within a couple of days.  That is as long as you do what you're told and behave. Of course, we all know that will be difficult for you," Grandpa added. 

"Difficult for me? You, betcha! However, it was difficult for Sampson to break the lion's jaw; yet, he did it--goody, goody! Oh, I'll behave, Grandpa, 'cause Cathy and me gotta date once I get outta here. Don't we, Beautiful?"

"Aww, how sweet of you to remember, my hero!"

Having said that, Cathy bent over, kissed me, then bit my lip.  Grandpa walked over to Grandma, gave her a peck on the cheek, then said, "For the good times, Ol' Woman!"
*******
One week later, Cathy met me as I walked through the door. "C'mon out and let's get a goin' down to the river and have a picnic, Baby. Grandma's made us some yummy food; and I want some more of those sweet kisses and lip bitings. It's gonna be a glorious day. So, what do ya say? C'mon, Angel! Give me a chance to love you before you fly away. Let me show you 'round the creations of God. Let's smell the sweetness of wild flowers on the summer wind, then eat our fill of Grandma's fried chicken and biscuits."

"Oh, Billy! There ain't nothin' that's gonna get in our way. Let's go straight to the willow tree, put down our blanket; then after we eat, I promise to kiss ya at least five times if that's what you want."

"Of course, I do; yet, I don't know how to count, Beautiful. So, just keep on a kissin' me; and Jesus will count 'em."

Hand-in-hand, we walked quickly to the willow tree, spread out the blanket on the soft grass, then ate all of Grandma's cooking. Everything was still warm and finger-lickin' good! A gentle breeze blew through the trees as we kissed the grease from one another's lips.

"Look, Honey! Those dark clouds are rollin' in. Are we gonna take a nap before it starts to rain?"

"Hmm! Only if we cuddle close. I promise not to misbehave; yet, I wanna."

We snuggled, watching the leaves swirl and twirl above us as the cold wind began to whistle. Cathy fell asleep first. I was a bit surprised to hear her snore; but, soon I was asleep, too. It wasn't long before I woke to the sound of thunder and saw the clouds had thickened with a noticeable darkness beneath them. 

"Cathy, wake up! There's a funnel cloud moving across the meadow toward us. C'mon, we gotta get outta here and find shelter fast."

"Sweet Jesus! It's a tornado, Bill; yet, it appears to be standing still with debris flying all around it. How close do you figure it is to us, Handsome?"

"Too doggone close, Beautiful! 'Cause it's raising hair on the back of my neck. So, let's go, Whippersnapper . . . shake it, shake it, shake it!"


 
Geez! What a suspenseful and nail- bitin' ending; yet, Grandpa
made us do it. C'mon, Ya'll, join us in Chapter 4.
Respectfully with Admiration,
Cathy and Bill



Recognized


A "Salute," Friends! Thanks for taking time to read our work. Cathy and I welcome your continued support and suggestions for improvement. Your thoughts matter to us. Hugs to Cathy for choosing me as her co-author and designing the astonishing book cover. Best wishes wherever you are and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy and Bill.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.