General Fiction posted March 11, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cookie finds a dog.

Her buddy

by Tpa



My wife, Cookie, found an injured white West Highland Terrier at the side of the road. She took the dog to the veterinarian to repair the canine's fractured paw.

Cookie then posted a notice in the newspaper, hoping the animal's owners would respond. They never did.

Meanwhile, the terrier grew attached to Cookie and followed my wife throughout the house. Cookie played with her buddy every day and taught the dog to fetch the ball and to rollover. The dog laid at the foot of the bed when my wife went to sleep at night.

A year later, the doctor diagnosed Cookie with bone cancer, and she died four months later.

I cried every day, and her buddy was just as sad. The dog whimpered and hardly ate. I came home one night and found the terrier lying on Cookie's side of the bed, where her buddy fell asleep forever.



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized

#452
2020
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tpa All rights reserved.
Tpa has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.