Romance Fiction posted February 28, 2020 Chapters: 2 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Spider bite for Cecile!

A chapter in the book An Angel in the Meadow

A Brown Recluse!

by Commando


Angel in the Meadow, Chapter 3

Greetings, Friends!
Cathy Waldron (aka Tootie), and me, Bill Bishop (aka Commando) are co-authors of this book. Our wish is to make you laugh and cry, then leave you in a state of uncertainty as to what will happen next. We invite you to follow along with us, and shall appreciate your feedback and recommendations for improvement. As always, thank you for reading our work, best wishes wherever you are, and God Bless.
Respectfully,
Cathy and Bill

~Previously~

 
The panther hit me like a mule kicks and knocked me on my tail. I tried to protect myself; yet, the effort failed. I felt its teeth sink deep into my flesh. I looked to the sky--with a tear in my eye, then asked God, "Why the dark clouds and rain? What is the purpose of sadness and pain? Sunshine, alone, is not what life brings. There has to be a balance to everything. Ah, yes, I know, God. . . the beauty of a rose, has its thorns; yet, You have my soul to hold." I rolled into a ball--then waited for the inevitable.
 
*Special Note*  
 
Some words in our book are written in a way that is appropriate for Smoky Mountain folks; yet, are not always understood in the real world. Characters will reflect earlier scenes in their lives, and shall, as well, talk to the readers at times. Wider spaces between words are due to full justified formatting. 
 
~Chapter 3~
 
Bret awoke to the sound of my voice, although he could not see me due to the bandage wrap covering his head and eyes.
 
"Please, God, help me! The pain is unbearable." Bret cried.
 
Tears ran down my face like water in a Smoky Mountain brook as he prayed. It was hard for me to accept this was happening.  "Why Bret, Father?" I called.  A nurse came into the room, then gave him a shot. "This is for your pain and to calm you down," she reassured him. Soon he was sleeping again.
 
My hands trembled, knees shook; yet, I didn't want to leave Bret alone for a second. However, I decided to go to the chapel and say a prayer while he was sleeping. My soulmate had to live, 'cause if he didn't, I'd want to die as well. As I walked, a thought came to mind, "God wouldn't send me 'The Love of my Life,' only to take him away. Oh, no! He wouldn't do that--Would you, Father?"
 
The chapel was dark with the exception of a few lit candles.  They flickered in the front corner alongside the altar and cast shadows on the words, "Prayers for departed souls!" Oh, gosh! Departed souls were not two words I wanted to associate with right now. I stepped into a pew, knelt down, closed my eyes, clenched my hands together, then prayed.
 
"Dear God, please don't take my handsome mountain man from me. You united us for a reason, didn't ya? So, give us time to love and enjoy one another. Since we've bonded together, its been hard. I've been bitten by a poisonous snake; yet, You sent Bret to save my life. Now, he's been mauled by a black panther and is at death's door. The doctor doesn't think he's gonna make it--is he, Father? Are you saying, 'We can't be soulmates, after all?' What am I to do now?"
 
"Just keep on praying, my child--that'll work!" 
 
The thought of losing Bret made my heart skip a beat. Could I live without him?. . . don't think so! "Are You listening, God? I'm bargaining with you. I'll do whatever it takes!"
 
"Just look and listen to me, Angel!" 

*******
The days walked away, Bret came home, and we burned the bridges of the past. He became stronger day-by-day, as I kissed the pain away. Today, as we strolled through the meadow, we watched the butterflies soar high into the sky, then whatever. ("Did you ever wonder what they do up there, friends?") I looked at Bret, smiled promiscuously, then crooked my finger.

"Before we play catch me if you can on the blanket, I gotta say, 'God choose me to watch over you, handsome. Since, you have walked straight into my heart, then on into my soul. For sometime now, we have shared our dreams with one another and each little secret became our secret! I've always picked you up when you stumbled and fell. I've, as well, tried to lead you along the pathway to happiness. Of course, that has not been easy--oh, no! There's one thing I gotta know, do you plan on leaving me one day?'"

"Hush, my darling!  I shall never leave you--God willing. However, the years will walk away, our hair will turn a silver gray, our ol' bones will pop and ache; yet, we'll have miles to go before we sleep. So, c'mon, Honey--take my hand, and let's tra-la-la through the meadow. Sway with me, Angel! Twist it, Baby, as only you can do. Then we'll shake-a-leg, and do the shag as I whisper, I LOVE YOU!"

"Aww, look over yonder by the willow tree, Bret!  See the baby rabbit? Please, catch it for me--will ya huh?"

"I'll do my best, Angel! So, run, run, run--little one, 'cause I'm gonna catch ya if I can!  Golly Gee!  It outran me and jumped in a hole. It is the second thing in my life that I never caught."

"Oh, really! Well, what was the first thing, Handsome?"

"A beautiful blond woman, 'bout my age, who was running naked in the sage before God chose you for me!"

"Jeez!  Please, tell me, God. . . why did you let the doctor drop Bret on his head at birth?  This mountain man is literally driving me bonkers.  From all of the other angels You could have chosen to help him, why me, Lord?"

"I'm sorry, Angel! Were you talking to me?"

"No, Bret! I was talking to God."

"I betcha that you were flirtin' with Him!"

"Oh, I was not, you silly gander!  Now, hush-up, 'cause He'll hear you and get angry."

"God doesn't get angry, Beautiful. We are all destined to die; yet, it's only after death that He will determine our eternal life. Grandpa told me this when I was nine. Of course, Grandma told me again when I was ten."

"Oh, my goodness! Your little stories are making me sleepy. I'm gonna snuggle on the blanket and take a nap. Now, don't ya kiss on me while I sleep. . . do you hear me?"

"For your information, when the doctor dropped me on the floor, I could never hear good anymore.  (Don't ya laugh, friends, 'cause it could have happened to you, too!")

As Angel slept, a heap of love crept into my heart. My mind returned to an earlier time, and I remembered whispering these words to her:  "The branches on our willow tree in the meadow, from which our love was conceived, are swaying endlessly into the depth of my soul. Can't ya hear my heart beat faster, as it engulfs the blissful elation? I feel myself being overwhelmed with love so graceful that my mind becomes a blank horizon. I can't see nor hear anything other than your presence, which is all I desire--your beautiful essence. A timeless sense of joy envelopes my awaiting heart because this is what I really wanted from the start. This love I feel--is truly real. You are all that I always hoped for, my darling."

"Wake up, Angel!  Shake it, shake it!  Cause one day we're gonna get married in the chapel, and the bells will ring and the angels sing. Of course, I'll not be wearing shoes, 'cause I haven't any; yet, I'll paint my feet huckleberry blue, will that do?"

"Aww, Bret! Of course, huckleberry blue will do, 'cause that's my favorite color.  Don't ya remember when you got lucky? Yoo Hoo!"

"Come quick, Angel," called Grandma from the cabin. "Your mother has been bitten by a Brown Recluse  spider."

Bret and I quickly ran up the hill to help; yet, my momma said, "It's okay, 'cause I slapped it away before it could inject the poison into my hand. Now, you two go back into the meadow and talk to God's little creatures."

"Listen to your momma, Angel. . . and c'mon."

I ran like a purebred horse in a derby. Bret ran in close pursuit! Of course, I had to slow down if he was to catch me in the tall grass, kiss my lips tenderly, then whatever else we choose to do. Hope to see you in Chapter 4.



Recognized


Greetings, Friends! First. . . a "SALUTE," to Cathy for the prestigious artwork and book cover. She is an "AWESOME WRITER," and it is an honor to write at her side. As always, thanks for following along as we write this "Special Love Story." We encourage your thoughts, comments, and suggestions for improvement. We hope to see you in chapter 4. Best wishes wherever you are and God Bless. Respectfully with Admiration, Cathy and Bill.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Commando All rights reserved.
Commando has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.