General Non-Fiction posted February 18, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My youngest son's last game

Last game

by GWHARGIS


If you know anything about me, you know I'm addicted to basketball. I didn't used to be. It just sort of happened when a friend coaxed me into signing my three children up for Parks and Rec basketball.

The goal was to get a few laughs as they double dribbled, traveled, even cried a few times on the court because someone stole the ball. But it turned into a passion for all three. Two went on to play for the high school.

I tried to never miss a game, be it Parks and Rec, AAU, or high school. I would go to practices, promising to stay in the car until it was over, but I would eventually sneak inside and watch.

All three were very good. All three had to prove themselves over and over.

Basketball ruled my life for years. I even went so far as to schedule my annual vacation so my son could attend VCU basketball camp every year in June. I would park myself up in the seats and watch kids play and practice for 8 hours every day for that one special week. This will be the first year I don't have that to look forward to. I will miss it.

I was good last night. It was just a Parks and Rec game. No big deal, right? But it was so much more really. It was an end of an era.

As those of you who are familiar with my writing know, I usually write young adult fiction. But things are changing. My world is fast becoming that of an empty nester. Very unfamiliar territory. So, wish me luck with my transition into this. And next time you're at a game and see some parent scrolling on their phone while their kid is on the court, nudge them, tell them to watch. Those times to be the proud parent go way too quickly.

Way too quickly.



Recognized


Thank you to VMargarite for the pic. Just a reflection of last night.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.