Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 11, 2020 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A game my cat played

A chapter in the book Felix and other Friends

Fingal's rubber band

by Cass Carlton

Fingal was a sweet natured white cat we brought home from my brother-in-law's house one Christmas.
He was a dear little kitten, but the runt of the litter, doomed to go to the pet shop as soon as they re opened after the holidays.
I couldn't bear the thought of it and so we brought him home to the family of assorted cats and chooks and guinea pigs we had.

My big tabby and white cat Nicky took Fingal under his paw as it were and he began to fill out and look rather handsome in his lovely white fur coat.

His constant companion was Cindy a black cat of about 3 years old who taught him all kinds of naughtiness.
Everything from unravelling the toilet paper all over the kitchen floor, to stealing food off the table when no-one was looking.

One afternoon Fingal was dozing in the window sill when I happened to drop a large rubber band on the floor.
Like a flash he jumped down and caught it in his mouth. He jumped up onto the table and dropped it in front of me.

So I threw it out the door into the passage. Straight away Fingal went after it and brought it back to me. By this time my husband and our two sons were watching.

To our huge delight Fingal retrieved the rubber band for all of us.
We took photos of him bringing the rubber band back and being patted.

It was especially his game although the other cats were very interested in how it was played.

Cindy used to play sometimes, but she had her own tricks and would nick the rubber band and hide it.

Fingal lived with us for three years, but died of a poisoned bait.
We laid him to rest in a grave under the pine tree in our very large back yard and my parting gift was a large, stretchy rubber band.




Fingal was given his name from the baby's names book owned by Katie, my husband's niece. She used it to find the names for her Cabbage Patch Kids dolls of which she had a whole clutch. Fingal means White Brother. It has probably a Gaelic or Celtic origin.



Club entry for the "Pets" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cass Carlton All rights reserved.
Cass Carlton has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.