Romance Fiction posted February 2, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Manny and Theresa

Letters From Heaven's Gateway #4

by Sally Law




~**~

"To love another is to see the face of God."
Quote from my favorite author, Victor Hugo.

Enjoy story number four in my series, Letters From Heaven's Gateway.

~**~

Dear Manny,

First, I just want to apologize for being so slow responding to you.

Love should always be addressed and acknowledged. You have repeatedly left me clues about your feelings, and I have been slow on the uptake--damaged, I think.

I hadn't really allowed myself to feel and love again. I've been consumed with my son, and the career that provides for us. A career that has brought me near you.

A model's life is surreal, isn't it? You and I--we look so right together in print, yet, as our favorite photographer just pointed out to me, "you're missing something here, Girlfriend, and you need to find it." He's right. Not just about what is absent on my part in these photos, but what I've been personally lacking.

He gave me a letter he has kept, penned from his grandfather to his grandmother. He asked me to read it, hoping to inspire me for this week's vintage bridal shoot in upstate New York. When I read it, I saw what I'd been missing. A love so pure and true, standing right in front of me. It's you, my darling Manny.

I scanned the letter for you to read. I think I believed that love like this didn't exist anymore. But after being with you time and again these past two years, I realized how wrong I've been. All I had to do was give us a chance. How could I not see the love in your eyes?

~~~~~

Dear Gwen, Todd, and Timmy,

Good night, my sweet love. I speak to you as if you are right here next to me. I miss you and long for home. My home is your heart and our children. I felt sick when I realized I missed their first words, first steps....

Twin boys must be harder on you than you'd ever admit. I was glad to hear how many in our family have stepped in to help you.

I'm serving with the best of the best, and hopeful to be nearing the end of the war. I want to be home to play catch with our boys and make up for lost time. Parenting is similar to the military, where we boast of strength and safety in numbers. I'm weary for you, my bride, longing for your touch and sweetness.

General Patton gave a big speech today, and it was promising that our efforts here have not been in vain. Hitler will be defeated and the Nazis, routed.

All my love and prayers,
Robert

~~~~~

I wept when I read this, Manny. I'm ready for a new season--with you. I accept your marriage proposal, as my heart has found a home with yours.

I'm taking the earlier train to our shoot in New York tomorrow. It's a long ride, but scenic and close to the ground I love so much. I'm overnighting this letter along with a gift for you. The gift is a reminder to you, and especially to me, I won't be wasting any more time. I'd marry you today, if it were possible.

All my love and life,
Theresa xoxoxoxo

********************

Theresa Lane boarded the passenger train with her make-up case in one hand and travel mug in the other. The valet made her comfortable in coach near the window. No one recognized her sporting sunglasses and a Minnie Mouse sweatshirt. She had six hours to work on her looks and take a little nap before her afternoon photo shoot. But more important than the click of the camera, was Manny. She longed to seal their engagement with a kiss.

She played solitaire to pass the time as she watched the landscape go by. Summer in New York was just so inviting. She could imagine her outdoor wedding here, wearing a vintage gown, of course. Most of all, she thought of her groom as Emmanuel Simmons. As the moving shadows danced upon her eyelids, Theresa lay back and dreamed a sweet dream.

********************

Manny came bounding down the stairs of the historic bed and breakfast like a giddy boy. "Do I look like a groom? I am finally going to be one. Theresa said yes!!" Everyone sitting around the breakfast table cheered. However, no one was more delighted than photographer, Owen Keating. The love letter from his grandfather had worked its magic.

"What time do we shoot today?" inquired one of the assistants.

"As soon as the train arrives, and our lovely model can slip into her dress," said Owen. She refuses to fly... so, we are at her mercy."

"She'll be here," said the future groom in her defense. "I'm usually the late one. She sent me this watch, engraved with mushy stuff on the back. She loves me!!" Manny danced around the room as he headed for the breakfast buffet.

Lunch came and went, and they were still waiting on Theresa. Manny had tried her cellphone several times, and had left numerous voicemails.

It was probably the lack of cell reception. Manny said this to himself over and over to calm his fears.

He logged onto his laptop to see if the train had been delayed. Nothing. However, the train should've been here an hour ago according to the online schedule.

Manny admired his handsome looking watch and thought of the ring he had waiting in his pocket. He would ask her today, formally, on bended knee.

He thought about taking a walk down the tracks to watch for her. It was such a beautiful day, why not?

"Hey guys, I'm going for a short walk," Manny reported. "I'll head back when I sight the train."

"I forbid you to sweat," said the makeup artist.

Manny smiled his million dollar smile and headed out. As soon as he turned the corner, a cloud of smoke appeared on the horizon. He took off like a shot and ran, following the tracks through the field past the bridge. The closer he got, the more smoke he saw billowing towards the sky. Sheer panic drove him on.

Manny heard a motorcycle coming up behind him as he was running out of steam. Thankfully, it was Owen.

"Get on," said Owen. Manny scrambled as he hopped on to the idling cycle. They raced up the gravel easement next to the tracks; slowing as they came upon the wreckage. Rescue workers were already on the scene, spread out across the fields near the derailed train.

"My bride is in there!" Manny ran looking from face to face as he pleaded, "God, help me find her." He called her name over and over as he hiked over the wreckage. Many of the injured were sitting up, and some were able to stand. But far too many were lifeless and unresponsive.

Over all the voices in the maddening chaos, Manny heard only one.

"Manny," she said, barely audible. He couldn't see anything but her ashen face.

Manny wouldn't let himself be anything but helpful. He took off his wool jacket and laid it across her. "I love you, Theresa. Don't go just yet. Hang on to me."

The EMTs came and and examined Theresa as Manny sat quietly and prayed. They prepared her to be airlifted, transferring her to a gurney.

"I'll be right here, my love, and I will go with you. Don't be afraid now, I'm here."

"Is this your wife?" asked the EMT.

"Yes!" Manny knelt next to Theresa and pulled the ring from his pocket. "With this ring, I thee wed." He kissed her hand as he slid the diamond ring into place. She mouthed the words, 'kiss me.' He kissed her for the first time, mingled with hot tears.

Theresa was airlifted with her husband by her side. During the next four days, Theresa Lane-Simmons would fight for her life, but in the end she would die a loved and married woman. Her last request was for her son, Charlie.

"Manny, promise me you'll find a good home for Charlie."

"Don't you worry, Theresa. I will make sure Charlie is loved and cared for."

Manny kept his promise and adopted Charlie right away, raising him as his own. He bought a farmhouse in upstate New York and is oftentimes seen playing catch in the summer fields with his son.



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized


My husband and I lived with our boys near Niagara Falls for seven years. It is truly beautiful in the summer.



Photo: wartime-bride-styled-shoot-Lilybean-Photography-36 at
https://english-wedding.com/2014/07/wartime-bride/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.