General Poetry posted January 20, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The football* that changed Chemistry...

Buckminsterfullerene

by Y. M. Roger


Awesome Allotrope
First Fullerene
Buckyball
Carbon
Soot
Famous Eighties Football

 



20-letter Teacup Dictionary Poem contest entry

Recognized

#2482
2020


*football here refers to international football (aka soccer) and NOT American football. ;o)

Buckminsterfullerene is a type of FULLERENE with the formula C60. A fullerene is an ALLOTROPE of carbon whose molecule consists of carbon atoms connected by single and double bonds so as to form a closed or partially closed mesh - the Buckminsterfullerene was the FIRST one discovered. The cage-like structure is made of twenty hexagons and twelve pentagons... Think soccer ball skeleton. ;o)

The discoverers of this CARBON allotrope named the newfound molecule after Buckminster Fuller, who designed many geodesic dome structures that look similar to C60. Geometrically speaking, the buckminsterfullerene is a naturally-occurring example of a Goldberg polyhedron which in its most commonly recognized form is an international FOOTBALL or American soccer ball. A shortened, quite recognizable name for a buckminsterfullerene is BUCKYBALL. The Buckyball is the most common naturally-occurring fullerene and manifests as fine, black powder. It is a component of SOOT.

For their ground-breaking discovery (FIRST DOCUMENTED IN 1985) and subsequent work with the Buckminsterfullerene, Robert Curl, Harold Kroto, and Richard Smalley won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene [for my fellow nerds out there - lol!]

Image from Google Images.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.