General Flash Fiction posted November 3, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
He hoo dares, wins. (50 words)

I'm Talon Everyone

by LisaMay




He didn’t like being owl by himself, so I’m his latest twit-to-woo. He’s such a know-it-owl, but he doesn’t give a hoot that I’m a dumb bird.
“Hoo cares?” he says.
He wisely keeps his Irritable Owl Syndrome to himself.
I hope he doesn’t get winged in a drive-by hooting.

 




Recognized


Author's Note:
This is number 36 in the series of my hypothetical 'new boyfriends'.

The creatures I have written about previously are: Penguin, Chimpanzee, Whale, Albatross, Rabbit, Bull, Cat, Dog, Pig, Horse, Grey Parrot, Snake, Polar Bear, Bee, Octopus, Goat, Vampire Bat, Swan, Snail, Elephant, Flamingo, Kangaroo, Rainbow Trout, Dung Beetle, Beaver, Swordfish, Giraffe, Mouse, Sheep, Pigeon, Gnu, Porcupine, Centipede, Cheetah, Alligator.

OWLS include about 200 species of mostly solitary and nocturnal birds of prey typified by an upright stance, a large, broad head, binocular vision, binaural hearing, sharp talons, and feathers adapted for silent flight.

Most owls can fly almost silently and also more slowly in comparison to other birds of prey. Acute eyesight is a characteristic that aids in nocturnal prey capture. Owls are known for their disproportionally large eyes in comparison to their skulls. Instead of moving their eyes, owls can swivel their heads through an angle of about 270 degrees to view their surroundings. Owls are regarded as having the most frontally placed eyes among all bird groups, which gives them some of the largest binocular fields of vision.

The prominences above a great horned owl's head (as in the accompanying photo) are not ears - they are feather tufts.

The modern West generally associates owls with attributes of wisdom and vigilance. In Greek mythology, a little owl traditionally represents or accompanies Athena, the virgin goddess of wisdom, or Minerva. Because of such association, the bird has been used as a symbol of knowledge, wisdom, perspicacity and erudition throughout the Western world.

In many cultures owls have been considered a bird of ill-omen, with a reputation as bearers of supernatural danger. There is a belief that owls are messengers and harbingers of the dark powers, yet other cultures see the owl as a peaceful symbol and sign of good luck and protection. Some native cultures used owls as a symbol of very high status of spiritual leaders.

Hedwig was Harry Potter's pet snowy owl. You may think of other famous owl characters, possibly Owlbert Einstein, Owl Jolson, and Owlfred Hitchcock?

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.