General Fiction posted October 26, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
If the electric grid goes down can you survive?

Without Warning!

by lauralumummu

Sunday, Monday, Doomsday... Contest Winner 
Today was another ordinary spring day, trying to get the kids up for school while still managing, somehow, to get to work in time.

" Jack, Karen", I yelled up the stairs, "the bus will be here any minute."
Jack is my thirteen-year-old son and Karen is seven. They both arrived in a whirlwind grabbing their toaster waffles and backpacks simultaneously.

At that exact moment, the lights went out!

"MOM, my phones not working. What's going on?" Jack exclaimed.

"I think the power's out" but the phones should work," I said. I tried mine and it was completely dead. Telling them to sit down for a minute, I noticed the sun was just starting to peek through the curtains, I tried to start my car, a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It wouldn't start.

Oh, no, I thought, was my dad right? He was what's known as a prepper and tried to teach me about survival in disasters and about EMP and Solar flares.

Just then I heard a truck outside, and my dad called" Kris" as he ran in the house, saying, "this is it guys, pack up all the food, water, and clothes, we need to get to the cabin now!" Dad's truck was a 1968 Ford in pristine condition. it still worked because it contained no computer components.

His cabin, located in the Almaguin Highlands, sat on eighty remote acres. He had been storing supplies there for a long time, had solar power and a hand-pumped artesian well. If we experienced a disaster we could survive there for many years.

I was worried about my husband, Dan, because he was out of town for business. Although he knew Dad would take care of us. I really missed him and wished I could hear his reassuring voice. Please get home, I thought.

"Wheres, mom?" I asked Dad.

"Shes at the cabin working in her garden," Dad answered. He had just come to town for supplies when the grid went down. I trusted my Dad but wondered why we were in such a rush. We'd packed everything into the truck, making sure we had all our medications and first aid stuff.

The kids had just fastened their seat belts and I hopped in beside my Dad when I heard the neighbors calling, "Hey, what's going on? Why is your truck working? Ours won't start."

Dad replied, " I think it's an electrical magnetic pulse and you guys should all try and get as much food and water as possible. Then think about surviving."

"Where are the authorities to help us and tell us what's going on?"Our neighbor James wanted to know.

"Don't count on them. You will need cash at the store.- - If you can get there," Dad answered.

"Can't you help us?" they called.

"No, I'm sorry, I only have enough gas to get home," Dad replied in an apologetic tone. He was always careful not to give too much information, fearful people would steal our stored supplies.
He stepped on the gas heading out to the highway. Passing the local Walmart, we couldn't believe the people were there already, some of them arguing.

Karen began to cry. Jack said," Mom this is nuts."

It had been only two hours since the lights went out. We could hear gunshots, in the distance. Dad said," We'd better get off the main roads fast."

We arrived at the cabin, Mom was surprised but happy to see us. She had been out in the garden and didn't know what had happened.

"I think the world as we know it, is over honey, doomsday for most and survival of the fittest," said Dad as he told mom what had transpired."

"I hope and pray that God helps us," said Mom.

'Let's get started unpacking the truck and securing the fence," I suggested. "We have a lot of work to do."


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story up to 700 words that involves a doomsday scenario. Anything goes, but the end of the world, or its perception, must be a driving force in your story.

Sunday, Monday, Doomsday...
Contest Winner

Recognized

#467
2019


Many people believe if the grid goes down the world as we know it is over.
Doomsday contest entry, Sunday, Monday, Doomsday
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lauralumummu All rights reserved.
lauralumummu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.