Children Fiction posted August 11, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Brothers fishing

Winter Camp

by Aussie


Winter covered the land in snow. Gum trees drooped with the weight. The Gundaroo tribe shivered in their kangaroo skins.
Grandmother Gundaroo stoked the embers of the dying fire. Her breath frosted on the air.

The Gundaroo tribe were camped on the edge of the mighty Murrumbidgee River, where they fished all year round and kept an eye out for sunbaking Kurria.

Grandmother clapped her hands in delight as her grandsons, Turragang and Midju raced towards her. They brought tears to her rheumy, old eyes.
"Grandma! Look, see what we have caught in the river," Turragang held a huge barramundi up for her to see.

"Now go clean it!"

"I helped pull it out." Midju the younger brother kicked dust to get his grandma's approval.
"You both have done well, grandsons," she chuckled into her bone pipe. Hiding a smile for the brothers who were so competitive and so loved.






Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Contest for 150 words exactly (Fiction.) A short look into the lives of the family Gundaroo. Camped on the Murrumbidgee River, they relied on barramundi (large silver fish) loved by Kurria (crocodile.) Many children and animals have been taken by the dreaded Kurria. Too short, I wanted to write more for you. Alas, it is a contest. Enjoy!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.