General Poetry posted August 9, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a memory

tanka prose (roots)

by Janet Foor

 
Coffee cup in hand, I enter the garden and pick my first bouquet of lovely lily-of-the-valley.  The white bell-shaped flowers hang from their tiny stems. Their sweet fragrance transports me back to Momma’s house where they freely grew under her dogwood trees. Each Spring, I chose a spray of the delicate flora to carry in my stubby fingers and proudly put in her favorite vase.  
 
A robin fledgling startles me as he lands on the birdbath. He sits, perched and ready for his plunge.  Splashing and flapping his wings, he retreats to the water’s edge.  I smile. I guess he wasn’t prepared for a cold shower. 
 
As the sun rises and turns the sky to a golden glow, I return to the house to top off my brew. I pause in the dawn's early light and am thankful.
 

dainty petals
dangle in morning mist
suspended
in a time warp
of treasured memories


 



Contemporary Tanka Prose contest entry

Recognized

#529
2019
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janet Foor All rights reserved.
Janet Foor has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.