General Fiction posted August 8, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a sign of the times essay.

Travelling

by judester

I remember not too long ago when travelling was a pleasant, social experience. People would dress well for their trip. We smiled sweetly, welcoming new faces as we sat patiently. Idle chit chat was exchanged as travellers grouped and waited together.

These days, people dress more for their comfort. No more small talk as rows of people sit hunched over their phones, zombie like, staring into the screens. No people watching or light exchanges with fellow passengers.

I took a bus home a few days ago and realized the changes first hand.



I entered the bus that was almost filled and took an aisle seat next to a girl slouched by the window.

Her black stretch pants were completely covered in cat hair and lint. Her exposed belly proudly revealed a newly tattooed statement of some belief I imagine, as the greasy plastic wrap slid away to reveal the artwork, inflamed on plump, pasty skin.

Immediately, I could smell her fetid, boozy breath as she tried to sleep off last nights' revelry.

Never once did she look at me. She would only rouse herself each time the Twitter alert went off.
Perhaps her lustful Prince from last night, requesting another magical engagement.

I turned away from this girl, only to see a blistered foot with chipped, cheap polish, propped up against the rail on the other side of me.

Argh.



I Remember writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Begin your non-fiction autobiographical story or poem with the words 'I remember...' Complete the sentence conveying a moment, an object, a feeling, etc. This does not have to be a profound memory, but should allow readers insight into your feelings, observations and/or thoughts. Use at least 100, but not more than 1,000 words. The count should be stated in your author notes.


Thanks to Bruceiorio for the artwork. 232 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.