Spiritual Fiction posted June 25, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tattered flag

As Sure As The Sun Rises

by Sally Law





Me lord, I saw your light burning and brought tea and black bread. Are you well?

Come in, Sebastian. Yes, I am well. I slept for awhile, although the battle rages.

This will help. A hot cup of tea will set you aright.

Thank you. I am often chilled at this hour. Sebastian, what is this?

An urgent message. A swift rider dispatched to the castle arrived just before dawn.

Read it, that I may know its contents.

My Sovereign, it is from your cousin, Lord Balmoral. He sends you his greetings along with men, weaponry, and supplies. Expect them within a fortnight. I verify it is his vermillion seal.

At long last. Supplies and men to aid our fortifications are on the way, even this day!

My prayer, yes, this very day, my King.

Sire, do I fly the colors? Our flag is tattered and torn from constant assaults.

Yes, Sebastian, we fly the colors. We must forever fly the colors.

I had it mended, with the help of many, through the night watches. At your command, my King, the morning light will reveal our resolve.

My loyal servant, take my weakened hands. Sit me there, by the window ledge, that I may see the colors unfurled.

Your Majesty, thou art without sight. How will you see?

I will know, by faith; the colors fly as sure as the sun rises.



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized

#119
2019


Photo from Pinterest.
https://images.app.goo.gl/tuDSki3tSKjWyQ47A

Black bread is dark rye bread. A fortnight is two weeks. Colors should be spelled colours, but my edit feature and voice over text for the blind, continued to flag me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.