Romance Fiction posted May 31, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
True Love Never Dies

Reunited

by Mia Twysted

George Fletcher slammed open the double doors as he stomped into the police station.

"Lauran Ann Fletcher," he shouted.

Shaking the snow off his boots he unbuttoned his over-sized coat, reached into his back pocket, pulled out his credit card, and tossed it on the counter as his daughter raced to his side.

"Daddy let me explain," Lauran said.

"I don't want to hear it," he said. "Do you know how much money you're costing me? Not to mention how you had me pulled out of bed at four o'clock in the morning on Christmas fucking eve."

"George," his wife said in a hushed tone, "language."

"Well, damn it Susan. Have you any idea the things people are going to say?"

Lauran's light blonde hair bounced loosely around her pale face as she took a step back. George mounted his larges hands on his wide hips impatiently waiting for the single he was free to go.

"Sneaking out of the house, stealing a car, breaking into someone's house," George said, "I thought we raised you better."

"Please, sir, it's not her fault," a tall teenage boy said, "it was mine, blame me not her."

The tall, well-built, long-haired, blue-eyes, boy darted out from the lockup stepping in front of Lauran. Reaching back he took her hand. Letting out a sigh the young girl melted into the back of her knight.

Alex Plasti and Lauran Fletcher had been secretly dating, against her father's wishes, since just after the start of their senior year. Right after Alex stole the captain of the football teams jacket, spray painted "LOSER" on it, and sent it up the flagpole. To avoid capture when being chased, the daring escape artist rounded the corner grabbed the nearest girl, twirled her around spinning her into a closed doorway, and kissed her passionately as the football team ran past. After his pursuers had gone, he winked and ran off in the opposite direction. The next day the mystery boy met her at her locker with a flower thanking her help.

""I stole the car." Alex said, "I broke into the house. I just wanted to show her a good time."

"Well, now you've made her a criminal," George said.

"We didn't hurt anyone, Daddy."

"Didn't I tell you to stay away from this boy? I knew from the moment I saw him he was bad news? I should have him arrested for corrupting the innocents of my only daughter."

"I meant no harm or disrespect," Alex said.

"It's time to go," George said.

Standing silently. Lauran's mother stood head down awaiting instructions from her husband. Reaching around his daughter's living body armor George grabbed his offspring by the arm pulling her away. Throwing her arms around her love, Lauran resisted her father's attempt to yank her away fueling his anger.

"This will be the last time you see this piece of trash," George said, "do you hear me?"

"Now, let's calm down here," another tall well-built muscular man said. "There's no need for that kind of talk."

Wearing ADU's the middle aged man stood next to Alex.

"Your son is a felon," George said.

"My son may have a wild side,"Jim Plasti said, "but he is a good upstanding gentlemen. He didn't force your daughter to go along for the ride she made that decision for herself."

"A decision she would have never made if it wasn't for that reckless troublemaker son of yours."

"Gentlemen," an officer approached, "it's time to move this along."

Shuffling the group out the double doors the officers sent the parties off in different directions and returned inside.

"No," Lauran screamed.

Breaking her father's grip, the leggy blonde dug her heels into the falling snow making a break into the arms of the only man she knew was made for her. With crushing steps her father stormed after her only to come face to face with the broad shouldered solider.

"You keep that troublemaker away from my daughter," George said, "or I'll have him thrown in jail for the rest of his natural born life."

"Mom," Lauran said holding tight to the man she loved, "it's not his fault. I wanted to go."

"She's not as innocent as you would like her to appear," Jim said, "maybe you should learn to control your seductress daughter."

"Dad," Alex said.

Grasping his father's arm Alex pulled him back looking him in the eyes.

"Don't you talk about her that way."

"Alex stand down."

Pushing his son aside Jim returned his attention to the big man standing next to him.

"Regardless," Jim said, "keeping them apart will be a lot easier after we relocate at the end of the month."

"NO!" the two teenagers screamed in unions.

"I don't want to hear it, Alex, I had to leave my post because of you and your girlfriend's irresponsible behavior. You are branding me with a bad reputation."

"That's all you care about, isn't it? It's all about you and your reputation."

"Thank the Lord," George threw his hands up in triumph.

"George," Susan cleared her throat gently, "it's over now why don't we just let it go and head home."

"I don't want you to go," Lauran said.

Alex swept Lauran up in his arms as she burst into tears.

"I love you," Alex said.

"I love you too."

The couple embraced in a passionate kiss.

"Get your felonious lips off my daughter," George Fletcher said.

Manhandling the young buck the angry father separated the young lovers.

"Get your meat hooks off my son you overgrown gorilla," Jim said.

The two men shuffled snow toward each other as they came chest to chest on the sidewalk. Their children ignorant to the showdown happening just an arms length away remained encased in each other's embraced. Tears streamed down Lauran's face chilling her skin. Alex swiped his loving hands across her cheek wiping away the tears and falling snow. The couple gazed deep into each other's eyes saying more then words ever could. Susan Fletcher stood motionless behind the events acquiring a mask of wintry flakes waiting her husband's command and instructions.

"I should sue you and your son for corrupting my innocent daughter into having a criminal record," George said.

"You keep throwing around this word 'innocent,'" Jim said, "wake up. Your little angel hasn't been innocent a day in her life."

"The hell she hasn't"

"Gentlemen," an officer walked out of the doors clearing his throat, "this is your last warning you need to be on your way ,now."

Latching onto each other Alex kissed Lauran one last time. The young lover's held on to each other fighting for ever last second they could get as their father's forced them apart. Their grip began to loosen causing their arms slid down each other's shoulders. They griped one another's arms with every muscle in their bodies, then squeezed tight to each other's hands as their fingers were forcibly torn apart. George bullied his daughter into the back seat locking her in. Alex reluctantly slid into his father's jeep never once breaking eye contact with the woman he loved.

Pulling a chain from under his shirt, Alex kissed it, and mouthed "Merry Christmas." Lauran, wiping tears from her eyes, did the same. The two shared one last glace before it faded away to a white winter wonderland.

*****

Lauran Fletcher stared at the lifeless gray walls that surrounded her. Kicking her shoes off under her desk she leaned back letting out a heavy sigh. Across the room a long-legged redhead pulled chopsticks out of her perfectly constructed curly locks letting them fall around her shoulders.

"What were we thinking when we decide to become accountants?" Amy said.

"I don't know if I can do another year of this," Lauran said.

"You say that every year."

"This year I mean it."

"You said that last year."

Folding one arm across her desk Lauran allowed her head to fall into the palm of the other. Then with her free hand her fingertips pulled at and rubbed the silver half pendent that hung around her neck. Everyday was the same, she thought to herself, numbers that didn't add up, clients that told half truths in hopes of a better return, and men who never seem to measure up to the one man she was forced to leave behind.

"You're doing it again," Amy said.

Lauran dropped the pendent sitting straight up.

"Doing what?"

"Acting like a lost dog who can't sniff his way home."

"I am not."

"It's not attractive."

Standing the two woman cleared their desk and prepared to head out.
Arriving home, Lauran quietly slid her key in the lock so not to disturb her neighbors. Flipping on the light she paused in the doorway as her eyes scanned her empty apartment.

"Honey," she said, "I'm home."

Stripping down, she walked to her shower turning on the water. Steam filled the bathroom as strands of liquid ran down her smooth light skin. Settling into bed, she pulled out her diary and began to write.

Dear Diary,
Today was just as boring as yesterday. Every night I come home to an empty house. Every night I sit by the window and stare out into the world wondering if I will ever find my place in it. Why can't I seem to find happiness? My father says it's because I'm not trying hard enough. "I introduce you to the most eligible bachelors on the face of the earth," he says to me over and over again. My father thinks the only good people out there are the ones he does business with. The ones that make him rich. I don't want to marry for money. I want to marry for love and somehow this is a disappointment to him. What am I doing wrong?

Closing her diary Lauran took one last look out her bedroom window longing for that missing piece in her life.

*****

Two well-built shirtless tan soldiers raced through the military base. Nose to nose their limbs propelled them faster kicking up a trail of dirt behind them. The shorter of the two men pulled out in front, turned to his opponent, and tipped his blue glasses as he sprinted backward. Digging in his heals the taller of the men pushed off the ground forcing himself into a misstep tumbling to the ground. Chuckling his running partner jogged up to him and stared down while running in place.

"What's wrong, Plasti?" the shorter man said. "You can't keep up?"

"Damn it, Xander, I thought I had you this time," Plasti said.

Xander circled around his fallen friend for a moment before breaking the silence.

"So, leave starts in a few days, what are your plans?"

"Why do I feel like you are trying to set me up for something?"

"Alex Plasti, what kind of man do you think I am?" Xander said.

Clasping hands, Xander, pulled Alex to his feet.

"The kind of man who would invite me to dinner and then spring a blind date on me."

"I only did that once."

Alex raised his eyebrows.

"Okay, twice," Xander said. "Look, Shelly wanted me to invite you on our cruise. She's got
some girlfriends coming along and thought that maybe..."

"Thanks, but I'll be fine. I have plans to visit the Admiral."

"I'll bet he doesn't look half as sexy in a bikini?"

"I bet he doesn't," Alex said, "you ready to finish this run?"

"Let's go slow poke," Xander said.

Water dripped from Alex's hand as he wiped the condensation off the bathroom mirror. How nice it would be, he thought, to go on a vacation for once that had potential. Alex Plasti envied his friend. He wished he too had someone to call at night, someone to hold tight, someone to share his life with. Picking up his silver pendent he sighed brushing it between his fingers before replacing it around his neck.

Climbing the stairs to his father's porch Alex stopped running his hands through his short black hair. Silently convincing himself to follow through he paced back and forth between the railings remembering the promise he made to is mother. It was her last wish that he never give up on his father. That he always try to build a bridge for them to stand on.

"Here goes nothing, Mom" Alex said, "I'll give it one more try for you."

Knocking the Army Ranger stood at attention as the admiral opened the door.

"Alex," Admiral Plasti said, "what a surprise."

"Dad."

"I didn't know you were coming."

"I thought I would surprise you."

"Well, do come in."

Jim held the screen door opened as his son stepped inside.

"How long will you be in town?" Jim said.

"I'm on leave," Alex paused, "so, a while."

Uncomfortable silence filled the room as the men sat down for a beer.

"I have to go to D.C. for a few days on business," Jim said, "how about dinner when I'm back?"

"Dinner? Sure, sounds great."

Making conversation the two men discussed what they new best, the military. Unable to reveal details of missions the made empty conversation filling the time.

"So," Alex said.

Slapping his knees the young souilder stood followed by his father. Handing the Admiral a card with the hotel name, phone, and room number he smiled awkwardly.

"So, just get in touch with me when you get back and...we'll make a plan."

"Will do," Jim nodded.

And with that, Alex thought, the official first visit was over.

*****

Onlookers shuffled along the sidewalk outside Lauran's office. She watched from her chair as a couple dozen pair of eyes scanned the interior as they passed by. Their dull unimpressed expressions weighed down the attractive woman's already sinking shoulders. They knew, she thought, how much of a disappointment she was.

"Look at the fish in the bowl," she said, "it's gone belly up."

"You need to get out and have some fun," Amy said.

Emerging from an hidden area in the back the redhead walked to her desk and received something from her bottom drawer.

"I think someone needs a little kick in her coffee this morning."

Dangling a small flashed between her long fingers Amy strolled over to the side of her co-workers desk.

"No, no," Lauran said.

"Come on girl live it up a little. It's okay. It's not going to hurt anyone and it might even do you some good."

"Amy, stop it."

The two women laughed as they played tug-o-war with Lauran's coffee cup. Lauran used two hands in an effort to regain control over her coffee, one to cover the opening, and the other to maintain maneuvering control. Going catatonic Lauran's hands slid off the mug relinquishing control. Amy cheered tipping the flask in victory as she freshened up Lauran's coffee.

"Don't worry it's only a few drops," she said.

Holding out the company manufactured mug Amy attempt to return the glass to its owner. Lauran stood frozen, eyes wide open, staring out the front window.

"Lauran," Amy said, "are you okay."

Barely breathing Lauran stood following the shadowy figure that slowly crept to the door then inside the structure.

"Do you need a drink?" Amy said.

"Yea."

Reaching passed her cup of coffee Lauran took hold of the flask. Quickly downing a shot or two before the handsome man entered the building she clenched the flashed in her hand.

"Lauran," he said, "Lauran Fletcher?"

"Alex," she whispered.

Silence filled the office as Amy sat the cup of coffee down on the desk that separated the long lost lovers.

"And I'm Amy, but that doesn't seem to matter. I'm going to step out for a drink or something."

Slowly pealing her flask from the frozen statue that once was her coworker Amy grabbed her coat and purse and headed to the door.

"I'll put the 'be back in five' sign up so you two can continue to stare at each other."

Amy waited briefly at the door for a response.

"Okay, then see you in a few."

The couple's eyes stayed locked neither breathing for the longest of moments. Letting out a gasp, Alex's lips curled revealing his pearly white teeth.

"I can't believe it's you," Alex said. "It is you isn't it?"

"Yeah," Lauran said, "how...why...what...?"

"Visiting father...on leave."

"You're in the military?"

Taking note of the soldier's fatigues she smiled.

"Ranger. Army Ranger. You?"

"Um, accountant."

Lauran broke her stance motioning around the office.

"Right," Alex said.

The pair paused for a moment before breaking into light laughter.

"I don't know why this is so awkward," Alex said.

"Me neither," Lauran said.

The chiming of the door alerted the couple to the return of Amy's presence.

"And we're still staring at each other I see," she said.

"Could I take you out to dinner?" Alex said, "unless you're seeing someone that is?"

"No," Lauran said, "I mean yes. I mean yes I'd love to go to dinner and no I'm not seeing anyone."

The eager soldier stepped closer to his high school sweetheart as the gaze between them intensified.

"Tonight, seven?" Alex said.

"Um, yeah."

Lauran bit her bottom lip to control her budding urges. Alex nodded then turned to head out the door before abruptly stopping and doing an about face.

"Where should I pick you up?"

"My apartment."

"Where is that?"

"Oh, it's at...um..well, over by..."

"I got this," Amy said.

Handing the handsome solider a post it, Amy winked.

"She'll be waiting at her apartment at seven sharp."

"So, tonight," Alex said.

"Tonight," Lauran agreed.

Nodding to Amy Alex headed to the door stopping briefly to look back at Lauran just one more time. As he disappeared from the window Lauran fell back into her chair and spun around with her hands and feet in the air.

"Well, I'll be damned," Amy said, "just damned, and what a dish."

*****
Throwing outfit after outfit out of her closets Lauran sighed.

"I have nothing to wear, shit."

Grabbing every beauty supply she had, the anxious woman threw off her clothes, ran to the bathroom, and jumped in the shower. Taking Amy's advice she began shaving places she had not touched in months. Her hands trembled as she thought of Alex. How good he looked. How nice he smelled from across the desk. Images of his face flashed through her mind as she took tender and delicate care not to nick herself with the razor. His strong jaw, his short black hair, his soft eyes, and his kissable lips made her body surge with electricity. Startled by a sudden knock on the door she glanced at the clock on her bed stand which read 5:30 pm. Wrapping her towel around her body she snuck to the door looking through her peep whole to see Amy waving on the other side.

"What are you doing here?" Lauran said.

"If I timed it right, and from the towel you're wrapped in I bet I did, you have already decided you have nothing to wear and just got out of the shower. I brought you something."

Holding up a garment bag Amy slide by Lauran entering the apartment.

"I brought shoes too."

"I don't know if I can do this."

"The hell you can't," Amy said, "and if you don't, I sure as hell am going to give it a go."

"What would I do without you?"

"I don't even want to imagine."

The two woman returned to the bathroom where Amy began to work her magic.

"And you're done," Amy said.

"What? Really?"

Lauran turned looking at her reflection.

"Oh Amy, I look pretty. You always look pretty," Amy paused. "You have about 30 minutes before he arrives. Take
deep breath, stay calm, and call me later, well, maybe tomorrow, with all the details."

Amy kissed the nervous woman on the cheek and let herself out. Lauran took one more look in the mirror, kissed the pendent around her neck, and sat down on the couch to wait.

*****

Alex walked back to his car holding tight to the address in his hand. Looking into his rear view mirror he starred back at himself wondering if everything that just happened was real. After all this time, he thought, he had found her? Back at his hotel he jumped in the shower as his mind wondered back to that last Christmas they spent together. He recalled Lauran's luscious lips, how sweet they tasted, the silkiness of her skin as he held her in his arms. The warmth from the fireplace of the house they broke into. He recalled how they had fallen asleep in each other's arms only to be woken up by the cops that arrested them. Alex wiped the moisture from the bathroom mirror and began to shave. He wanted to look his best for the evening he had imagined for so long.

Pulling his nicest clothes from his knapsack Alex plugged in the iron.Seams straight and perfected he buttoned up his dress shirt and took a deep breath. With a splash of cologne the eager man rubbed his hands together, picked up his keys, and headed out the door.

Sweat dripped off Alex's hands as he gripped the steering wheel just outside Lauran's brick apartment building. Lauran sat on the couch intently watching the clock on the wall. Every second was like an eternity to each of them. Their minds raced with what could have been and what should have been. What words would they say to the other, they thought. Taking a deep breath Alex stepped out of his car and headed inside. Butterflies ripped through Lauran's gut as the knock on the door faded into the apartment. Taking her own deep breath she stood and walked to her door.

"Lauran."

"Alex."

The two long lost lovers gazed into each other's eyes. Stepping into the apartment Alex took the shaking woman into his arms and kissed her passionately. Lauran's long arms wrapped around his well developed shoulders as he lifted her in the air. Walking forward blindly while they embraced in their passionate kiss Alex stumbled into the couch knocking them head over heels onto the floor.

"Oh my god," Alex said, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Lauran said.

Laughing Alex cupped his hands over Lauran's face kissing her gently. Hearts raceing their hands explored each other's bodies. Their temperatures rose as their clothes fell to the floor. There on that living room floor, with the door slightly ajar, they rekindled their love and passion spending the night embraced in each other's arms.



Soulmate. Twin soul contest entry


Lauran Fletcher - Main female character
Alex Plasti - Main male character

George Fletcher - Lauran's father
Susan Fletcher - Lauran's father
Amy - Lauran's co-worker and friend

Jim Plasti - Alex's father
Xander - Alex's friend
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mia Twysted All rights reserved.
Mia Twysted has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.