General Fiction posted May 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter in the book

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

Sir Alfred's pain

by zanya




Background
Sir Alfred is in Italy looking for his renegade son, Lord Airdale. Giovanni, whose lineage needs to be proven, resides at Briarly Hall.
Sir Alfred settled in to life in Milan at the Manor of his friend, Count Eduardo. Anticipating a brief sojourn, he passed pleasant mornings riding out with Eduardo's  equerry, Ernesto.

"You like Italian Spring days, Sir Alfredo?" Ernesto enquired. Conversation flagged thereafter since neither man spoke the other's language.

Count Eduardo's  ancestors had lived for three generations in Milan and its environs. Yet he was unfamiliar with Lady Laetaxia 's family.

"Perhaps Lady Laetaxia come from another Italian province," Eduardo suggested. " I will enquire with my lawyer," Eduardo promised.

Sir Alfred was feeling more and more distraught. After all Giovanni was growing up and needed to learn about his family. Soon he would ask more serious questions.

Sir Alfred loved the Italian countryside in Spring. Warmer days and bluer skies encouraged him to ride out earlier and for longer. Eduardo's  estate stretched for miles. He felt freer here than
back home in England where boundaries and fences were de rigueuer.

His favourite mare in Eduardo's  stable, 'Marisa', challenged all of his horseriding skills. Marisa whinnied and charged forward with all the force of an ancient steed.

One morning halfway through his canter with Marisa, she took off at speed. Marisa was easily frightened by rabbits or wildlife. A young tawny fox strayed into her path and Marisa stumbled.
Sir Alfred was thrown clear. Marisa charged back towards Eduardo's  Manor. A riderless horse stirred fear in equerry Ernesto's heart.

Grasping his riding crop and mounting his horse 'Equus', he headed in the direction from which Marisa had come.

It was not long before he saw Squire Alfred attempting to stand upright as he brushed off blades of grass and mud stains from his riding breeches.

"Squire Alfredo," Ernesto called out,"are you well?"

"Si, si," Alfred responded, happy he was able to reassure Ernesto with his minimum of words.

Leaning on Ernesto's shoulder as he led Equus home, Alfred groaned, in pain, from time to time.
Count Eduardo, hearing the commotion came out of his study and rushed to meet the two men.

"Alfred, Alfred," he called " come into the morning room and we shall see if you have broken bones? You are such a good horseman. Marisa is runaway."

Sir Alfred stumbled on to the chaise longue.

"Alfred, dear fellow, a draught of brandy will soon settle the pain," Eduardo  suggested.

"Maybe not this time," Alfred replied , " it's a searing backache."

"Perhaps I should call our country physician, Vincenzi, to have a look at you?"

Alfred readily agreed, to the surprise of Eduardo.

Physician Vincenzi quickly delivered a prognosis.

"Eduardo ," he began, " your house guest Alfredo has injured muscles in his back and will require many months of bed rest. Travel is forbidden."

With that Vincenzi closed his doctor's black leather bag and rejoined his hansom cab.

Vincenzi was a physician of few words.

Alfredo's face fell as he contemplated the prognosis.

"Eduardo," he began, " this is preposterous. How am I to find my son Lord Airdale and when do I return to Briarly Hall? Lady Betsey is alone there and like all women, is not accustomed to dealing with estate matters. Why Briarly may even fall into disrepair. Fetch a quill and an inkpot so I can write her, explaining what has befallen me."

"Alfredo," Eduardo continued, " Do not fret. Lady Betsey is a very capable woman. After all, you have produced a powerful Suffragettist, have you not, from your loins, you two? And Suffragettes are not, how do you say in English?..not shrinking violets."

Alfred smiled.

"That's as may be, Eduardo ," Alfred continued, " That's as may be. However, I am not a young man, now in my sixty-ninth year and I need to put my legal affairs in order for succession rights for Giovanni. Briarly needs an heir. Giovanni is our heir. He's not only our heir. He is our joy. Alfred discreetly wiped away a tear from his eye.

Eduardo stood by the window of the morning room and listened as Alfred, whom he had known since they were young m
en, bare his middle-aged soul.

"Why Alfred," Eduardo continued, "Giovanni is your darling, life's blood for Briarly. Tomorrow we shall begin the search, in earnest, for your son, Lord Airdale."

Although Alfred's face was contorted with pain, he did succeed in smiling at the mention of his son and a future for Giovanni at Briarly Hall.

**************************************

 




If you took time to read this chapter thank you in advance.

Just paying another visit to the residents @ Briarly Hall !!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.