Biographical Poetry posted March 7, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Remembering the day we marched around our kitchen table.

The Day FDR Died

by HarryT

It was a cool spring morning, the sun was shrouded by misty clouds.  My brother and I were playing checkers on the kitchen floor. Mom was engrossed in her favorite soap opera, “The Romance of Helen Trent” tuned on a Philco radio that sat in a place of honor atop our mountainous Kelvinator refrigerator. A somber voice, sounding like a funeral dirge, interrupted the broadcast. President Franklin Roosevelt was dead. Mom mumbled, “Oh, my dear God, please help us.” We had an uncle in the Navy in the South Pacific and three others in the Army, and Army Air Force in Europe.

Military music erupted from the radio, my brother and I excited with marshal fervor, left our game and ran to our toy box, grabbed our helmets and toy rifles and marched round and round the kitchen table. Mom, tears streaming, gathered us up, hugged us and then, allowed us to continue our cadence, while she sat and cried. When the music stopped, we went outside and shot Germans.

 



Story/Prose Poem contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.