General Non-Fiction posted March 2, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's sometimes hard to move on with life.

Packing Day

by justjo66

This morning as the sun found its way through my blinds, I clamped my hands over my eyes. I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to face another day.

I found a red bandana and tied the loose strands of my hair, not caring about the ever-increasing grey today.
In the kitchen, I poured my first cup of coffee. Coffee, cream and Splenda my only morning fare. I used to enjoy a hearty breakfast but that was long ago.

An old red flannel shirt, to chase the chill away, I found hanging in the back of my closet.
Room to room I wandered in my big old farmhouse. Pictures, furniture, collectables from a life lived. "Things," I thought aloud "only things."

To our little town, I drove in a daze. For what I didn't know. I found myself at Red's Liquor Depot paying for a bottle of whiskey.

Back home as my lips touched the edge of the glass. "Oh God," I cried. The red bandana, shirt and even the brand of whiskey were all his. I could see him there in the doorway with that big Texas grin he always had when I did something really silly.

Dead now for five years but it feels like yesterday. I long to hold him one more time and feel his arms around me.
The bottle went back in the cabinet beside his picture. His cowboy hat hung on the rack where he last put it. I put it on and walked out to feed his horse.

Tomorrow will be okay. Today will be sad. Life will go on, new memories will be made. His things will be packed away today but his memory will forever linger.






Share Your Story contest entry

Recognized


Thank you, Vince, for this great picture. This story is true with a little bit of poetic license inspired by my friend Paula's story of the day she wore her deceased husband's things and bought his whiskey.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.