Romance Fiction posted February 27, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It's funny when strange things bring people together.

The Bookcase

by GollyGreen32

10-Minute Play Contest Winner 

Characters:

Mara Maples, 30, is petite, about medium height with dark hair, and a small gap in her front teeth. She earned an English degree and a master's degree in creating writing. She tutors children in a Pennsylvania school. She lives alone, owns her own home, and previously served in the military as a combat medic. She possesses a good sense of humor and enjoys good company.

Anthony Barone, 38, is tall, thin, and wears glasses. He sports a full head of thick brown hair and clean-shaven face. He is well-dressed and works full-time as a public librarian in another Pennsylvania town, 12 miles from Mara's school. He lives next door to Mara and has been since she moved into her home about three years before. He is shy, but also has a good sense of humor.

Virginia Winters, 60, is tall, with short white hair. She wears chic dresses and pants suits for her job as an estate agent and real estate agent. She is all business, but a little bored with her job.

First Setting: In the den of a recently abandoned house, Mara peruses an ornate bookcase, crammed full of Harlequin romance novels. Now, the absent owner is selling everything in the house and the house itself through an agent.

Second Setting: Mara and Anthony talk in the den of her house.

(Lights up)

MARA: (Looks at the books in the bookcase.) Goodness gracious, I was hoping to find a few thrillers or maybe some science fiction in here.

VIRGINIA: (She approaches Mara.) "Hello. My name is Virginia. Did you find any books you like?

MARA: (She snicks.) No, they're all romance novels.

VIRGINIA: (She smirks.) They can be thrilling too.

MARA: (She smooths her hand over the side of the bookcase.) It certainly is beautiful oak. Can I buy just the bookcase?

VIRGINIA: (She clears her throat.) Well, the owner prefers that I sell the bookcase and its contents together, but I'll give you a deal.

MARA: (She faces Virginia.) What do you have in mind?

VIRGINIA: (Clasps her hands together in front of her.) Since it's Valentine's Day, and the bookcase is full of romance novels that no one wants, I'll only charge you thirty dollars for the bookcase and its entire contents.

MARA: (Raises her eyebrows.) That's a great deal considering its size and condition. I'll take it.

VIRGINIA: (Unclasps her hands.) Fantastic! But you need to move it yourself. Do you have anyone to help you?

MARA: (Smiles.) Yes, my next-door neighbor and I came in his pick-up truck. (She holds up her hand, palm forward.) And he conveniently brought a dolly too.

VIRGINIA: (Turns to leave, but then turns back.) I'll get some bags to pack the books. (She turns again to walk out the door.)

MARA: (Steps forward.) I'll join you. I need to talk to my neighbor.

VIRGINIA: (Nods.)

MARA: (Stands beside Virginia.) Can I ask you a question?

MARA AND VIRGINIA BEGIN TO WALK OUT THE DOOR.

MARA: Why did the owner abandon such a huge, lovely Victorian house?

VIRGINA: (Looks at Mara.) His mother was quite ill for a long time before she died. Then his wife suddenly died a few months later. He lives in another city now. Too many memories here, I guess.

MARA: (Nods.)

THEY PART IN THE LIVING ROOM.

MARA: (Looks at the bookcase from her desk in her den. She stands and walks to it.) All these heroes in all these pages. (She pulls a book from its place.) I wish that a handsome and brave hero would come and save me.

MARA OPENS THE BOOK IN THE MIDDLE AND BEGINS TO READ ALOUD.

MARA: It wouldn't be best for me, Deidre. (Mara's voice cracks a little.) His rich deep voice caressed her skin, and she shivered in response. She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. I can't, Deidre answered.

MARA SITS IN THE CHAIR NEXT TO THE BOOKCASE AND CONTINUES TO READ.

MARA: You can, Peter said. He moved close again but didn't touch her. A mere inch separated their lips. Deidre gazed into his brilliant blue eyes. We're friends. You can do anything you want with me, Peter whispered. Deidre, let me come with you to the ball tonight. Let's be friends.

MARA SMILES AND TURNS THE PAGE.

Mara: I need to know what happens. (She continues to read aloud.) Deidre blushed at his plea but refused to lower her gaze in embarrassment. She nodded her assent to Peter's request.

MARA LAUGHS AND LOWERS THE BOOK TO HER LAP.

MARA: There's always a ball or house party in these stories, but I do love it. Just like in Pride and Prejudice.

MARA LIFTS THE BOOK AGAIN AND READS ALOUD MORE.

MARA: Peter smiled. I'm so honored. Shall we seal the deal with a kiss? His breath smelled of peppermint and coffee. A scent that wrapped around her. He brushed his lips against hers. His touch reminded her of a spring breeze, and she wanted it to envelop her forever. He stepped away and captured her gaze. You're my friend, Deidre and tonight, you will be my moonlight. He bowed over her hand and kissed it. His gaze never left hers. Until tonight, my lady. When he closed the door, she touched her lips. Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?

MARA SIGHS AND CLOSES THE BOOK. SHE STANDS AND SETS IT ON HER DESK.

MARA: Oh, a girl can dream about stuff like this. Some will get this lucky. Unfortunately, I will not.

MARA's DOORBELL RINGS. SHE WALKS TO THE FRONT DOOR AND OPENS IT. ANTHONY, HER NEXT-DOOR NEIGHBOR WHO HELPED MARA WITH THE BOOKCASE, IS STANDING THERE WITH A PAPER COFFEE CUP AND A CLEAR PLASTIC DRINK CUP.

MARA: Hi Anthony. Come on in.

ANTHONY STEPS INTO THE HOUSE.

ANTHONY:How's the sorting coming along? (He holds out the clear plastic drink cup to her.) I stopped at Starbucks. It's your favorite. Iced vanilla. Syrup and cream.

MARA TAKES THE CUP AND SMILES.

MARA: Thank you so much. That was very thoughtful. (She sips from the straw.) Oh my...that's so good. Let's go to the den. I would like some help...and the company.

MARA AND ANTHONY WALK TO HER DEN.

ANTHONY STROLLS TO THE BOOKCASE AND TOUCHES THE SPINES OF THE BOOKS.

ANTHONY: Wow. I forgot how full this bookcase was.

MARA: (Moves to Anthony's side.) Well, we'll make quick work of it.

ANTHONY: (Looks at Mara lovingly.) What's your criteria for the keepers?

MARA: (Looks at Anthony.) I haven't even started to sort them yet. I was reading a few pages of this one. (She reaches over, grabs the book from her desk, and holds it out for Anthony.)

ANTHONY: (Takes the book and reads the title.) The Good, the Bad, and the Next-Door Neighbor. (He laughs.) I like the title.

MARA TRIES TO TURN AWAY. ANTHONY CLASPS HER HAND. SHE FACES HIM AGAIN.

ANTHONY: Uh...Mara. I've been meaning to ask you.

MARA: Yes?

ANTHONY: Next week is the library's charity ball. Will you come with me?

MARA: (She smiles.) I'd love to. And you just gave me an idea, neighbor.

ANTHONY: (He releases Mara's hand.) Really? What's that?

MARA: I know we just moved it here, but can we move the bookcase to your library and hold a perpetual Friends of the Library book sale?

ANTHONY: (He smooths his hand over the wood.) It's got great craftsmanship...and character. (He gazes at Mara.) Like you.

MARA: (She laughs.) Thank you, Anthony. That's the best compliment anyone has ever given me.
ANTHONY: Shall be skip the sorting and have lunch at Bright's Cafe?

MARA: Sure. We'll categorize later but chat now.

THEY BOTH LAUGH.
(Lights down)



10-Minute Play
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.