Humor Fiction posted February 17, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sometimes, it's still good to work with dad...

Cut the Cord

by Y. M. Roger


Mikaela marched herself and her ax to the next tree. Wait. Was that a whimper? Glancing up, she saw a hollowing between the trunk and a branch. Using a few logs to stand on, she climbed up and peered inside. The eyes of two baby raccoons stared back at her. She sighed and shook her head as she climbed down.
 
She removed another ribbon from her backpack and marched back to the coons’ tree. She certainly couldn’t harvest this one either.

Stopping to drink a bottle of water, she texted Dad.
 

How goes it over there?
 
Her dad’s reply was short – Mikaela knew he hated to text.
 

Almost done. Yours?
 
Mikaela glanced up. There seemed to be a whole lot of ribbons and not many felled trees. She worried her lip and responded.
 

Not quite there yet.
 
MIKAELA!
 
Before she could text back, she heard her dad trudging through the brush over the hill, ax in hand.
 
As soon as he appeared, Mikaela started to defend herself. Instead, her dad doubled over with laughter.
 
“Micky.” He tried to catch his breath. “The forest looks beautiful, sweetie, but, at this rate, we’ll never be able to cut a whole cord!”

 



Pick a title from the list provided writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose one of the following titles.

Asking For It
Cut the Cord
State of My Head
Outcast
How Did You Love
It All Adds Up
Oblivion
Dangerous
Thick as Thieves
Black Cadillac
Misfits

Where does the title take you?

Get writing: poem, fiction, essay, whatever you like!
200 words maximum word count.

The title of your work MUST be the title you chose from the list. (There shouldn't be any confusion in the booth for duplicate entries of title, as your name will be displayed alongside your entry.)

Artwork and author notes welcome.

Recognized

#290
2019


Image from Google Images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.