General Fiction posted January 31, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Flash story

Last Words

by Chris Davies

The fight was a humdinger. The neighbors stared as I tromped back into our apartment, with my eyes averted. I'd never had police involved in my life before, and although I was thankful for their arrival, I felt deep shame.
I sat down at the kitchen table and surveyed the mess. A lamp overturned, magazines scattered across the floor, a spilled bottle of beer. They could all wait until morning. I didn't have any energy left. I sighed and grabbed a rag. The beer would smell by morning.
I'd dated Jack for six months before he moved in. I thought I knew him. I didn't understand when things began to go wrong. My dreams began to fissure with every failure he heaped upon my shoulders. I wondered when I had become so incompetent.
I threw the rag into the sink and walked into the bedroom, disrobing as I went. I needed to sleep.
I awoke from the warm cocoon of my down comforter and stared into the icy blue eyes of my knife-wielding ex-boyfriend.
"I didn't hear you knock."



Final Words writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Davies All rights reserved.
Chris Davies has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.