General Fiction posted January 5, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Faith dies, arrogance prospers, and the world will die

Kill the Frogs

by Mr. Green

Sunday, Monday, Doomsday... Contest Winner 
My hands are shaking, it will be dark soon, and they will start tracking me with their heat sensing micro-bots, and drones. This frightens me, they know that I am the last one left who can reveal their true ambitions.

Somewhere, there are others, there has to be.., Innocent people who have not been privileged to the information. People who still believe in all this technology.

It is not their fault, I know that.., But these are people who still believe Big Brother does not exist, those who have never heard of the "New World Order", so they simply tuck it away in a file called "Conspiracy Theories." That is how effective they have been over decades, even centuries of planting disinformation to the media.

It tears at my soul to think of the people who were brought up believing in a morphed ideology of history. What choice did they have, once the dark government began dictating school curriculum, and creating large pockets of ambiguity in the religions, and attacking the family structure, by implying that parents could not properly raise their children without government standards dictating family values.

Shhhh! I can hear the subtle whisper of the drones. I must turn off my flashlight, and sit in the dark. I can't stay here, but where, where should I go. No! Where can I go? This small town is nothing but a ghost town. Everyone who might be alive is hiding, and if they are not hiding, well, it will make little difference to them. They will be forced to take the HLP-micro-chip. After that they will belong to the whims of this arrogant, world system, that has slowly taken our privileges, our rights, and our freedoms.

With the night comes the cold, that's when I fear the drones the most. I can't find a way to hide my own body heat, and the drones have gotten so small, it is very difficult to locate them at night except for the low whispering hum they produce.

If they find me, there will be no options for me. I have studied these groups for too many decades, from understanding the inner workings of the Illuminatti, to the Bilderburgs, to the Council on Foriegn Relations, and many others. Don't get me wrong, some of the groups I looked into were rightly called Cults, but others.., Those are the ones who remained hidden until recent decades, when they finally became so powerful they no longer feared public exposure.

Over the centuries they have infiltrated every aspect of this world, when it come to money, power, family, religion, and technology.

Oh damn! I have to stop again. This concrete wall is so cold right now, but I must sit here in the dark, curled up in a ball. I can feel my heart beating. My skin twitching in places as the cold air and the fear inside me collide. I can't control the trimmers.

God help me. I must finish this journal. I want to close my eyes but every time I do, I only see the bodies lying in the street outside this building, and I wonder if I am the only person left alive who has not taken the micro-chip.

Everything started out wonderful. The introduction of new technology normally does. But I have had time to think about things now. Have you ever watched a frog boil. If the water is too hot, the frog will jump out immeadiately, but if the frog is allowed to rest in a pot of luke-warm water, and the water is slowly heated, the frog will gradually fall asleep and will never realize his fate until it is too late.

It's frightening to think this could happen to an entire society, to an entire world. What's the point of this journal if I am the only one left. What about the others? What if my nightmare has only begun.

The world is dying and I can't stop it.




Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story up to 700 words that involves a doomsday scenario. Anything goes, but the end of the world, or its perception, must be a driving force in your story.

Sunday, Monday, Doomsday...
Contest Winner


Humans have an insasable desire to control everything. From the weather, to people, to the world itself. Sometimes it works out for the best, but sometimes it does not.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.