Biographical Non-Fiction posted December 18, 2018 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More details about Jim's job.

A chapter in the book My Life

Teaching

by aryr

This is a clarification and follow up to some questions that came through. That is the nice thing about doing this. I can add information where it is needed or in this case asked.

When I spoke of 30 or 50 amp service, this is in reference to the amperage that the campground has available for the electrical needs of campers. Some campers use 30 amp only while others use 50 amp; but one can buy an adapter allowing either one. The only concern is that you will be restricted to the number of heat sources when on 30 amp. For example, I could not have the electric fireplace on while I was cooking nor the dryer, basically I only had one major heat source.

The other question was in regards to what Jim actually does. He started out as a tech for the company. Natural gas lines are buried in the ground. The techs use a piece of equipment which is called a 'sniffer.' Please do not ask me the technical question about how it works-lol. I do know it is powered by compressed gas, which means that each tech has to have tanks weighing in about 75 pounds to use when the sniffer needs filling, this way they only carry about five pounds. They do however have to store it either in their vehicle or in the basement compartments of their camper. When the pressure within it is low, it has to be replaced, which is part of Jim's job. The individual companies provide a map of the gas lines and each meter. The tech is responsible for walking the line with the sniffer that detects leaks and inspects each meter for leaks. They are also able to spray a combination of water and liquid detergent on the meter and the leak will create air bubbles. The tech does not repair any meters, they simply report the leak and the individual companies send out their crew to fix and repair. With Jim being a field supervisor, he oversees the techs that work under him.

From North Dakota, just ahead of the snow, we went south. We made a couple of overnight stops but eventually ended up in Conroe, Texas which is about 15 miles from Houston, Texas. Since I was on Medicare, I had to decide whether we were going to travel North Carolina for our medical visits or choose a new MD in Texas. It was an easy decision. Jim had an assignment in Houston, so to take a minimum of a week to travel to NC and back was pushing our luck. I found a new MD and a new eye doctor, so we were both able to get appointments before we relocated again.

Houston is an interesting place and very, very busy. It was nonstop traffic, twenty-four hours a day. I love the variety of shopping, the entertainment sources and the museums. The space museum was fantastic. Fortunately for us, we had been in Texas while on the oil rigs as gate guards. A different area in Texas but still Texas. When they say that things are bigger and better in Texas, it is definitely true, at least the bigger part.

There are tons of camping parks, from luxurious to basic. We were at a mid ranged park. One thing I noticed was even the basic parks were relatively high class when compared to other states.

Jim was not only a field supervisor now, he had also been trained to instruct new groups of techs. So, for three months he taught the classes for two weeks then supervised their work performance for two weeks. Then he had about a month where he organized and set up that local crew. It was a great time for him. He had great teaching skills when he was building boats and it carried over to his new career. Sometimes, when there was not a local office with a conference room, he would arrange to use the conference room at whichever park we were staying at. That was generous of the park.

A few things were stressed for the job was first and foremost stay hydrated. You may think that there is a breeze and you are only walking but the sun can be brutal. Initially he would recommend Gatorade but discovered it had a high sugar content which played havoc on the system, so he switched to Propel which was user friendly.

The next thing was to have over-the-ankle-waterproof boots- one walked in everything- tall grass, mud, water, rocks etc. You never knew when you were stepping into a boggy area or a water hole up to your hip. Jim suggested to the techs that, when walking in areas that were did not have sidewalks, they pull their socks over their pant legs to prevent ticks. It was also a great idea (mine) for the techs to take a picture of their work badge and store it on their cell phone. One has to present their identification if asked and if you have lost it, then you can't work legally. It takes at least a week to get a new one from Georgia. In the southern states and, especially, in the summer months, one should wear a floppy hat rather than a baseball cap, which does little for sunburned ears.

It is helpful if they can watch where they are walking for things like rocks they can slip on, water bogs, wires, snakes and other hazards. Now mind you they are also using their sniffer and either a paper map in a plastic baggie to protect it or a tablet that is loaned out by the company. Drivers are also a huge hazard, they just zoom along in their own world. Not even pretending to see the florescent yellow vest the techs are required to wear.

He also became certified to do certain legal checks to permit the techs to work. There are three different types and each local company has their particular requirements before a tech can be contracted under them.

He was rising up in the company and very proud of himself for doing so, and so was I.

To be continued ......


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.