General Fiction posted November 15, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
an op ed

electronic parents

by judester


Families have become disconnected. From an early age, children are set before the television so Mom can be relieved of that duty. No longer do families sit down to dinner to connect and discuss their day and thoughts. Many times I have seen a parent out with their child and just cannot put their phone down to engage and discover with their child, allowing them to express and understand this unfolding of their lives. This is a constant, evolving discussion.

The impact of bullying and how a young child can end their lives because of it, is a result of this disconnect. Because the child does not build a strong sense of self worth by trial and error, social mishaps etc, bullies (and life) are able to get into the cracks and cause such anguish. When a child is taught to examine and solve upsets, to realize their strengths, taunts and unfortunate events become like tin arrows on a battleship.

''Everyone gets a trophy,'' mentality, win or lose, is also damaging. Little Johnny must realize that sometimes you lose in life. Learn from this, try harder and next time you will truly deserve the accolades. Not just because you showed up.

Developing social skills out in the real world, allows the child to discover early, the differences people share and to form their own opinions and path. Young people, sitting in their shadowed rooms, being spoon fed other people's photo shopped experiences, is not healthy. The fixation on people like the Kardashians and the latest rapper are good examples.

The explosion and intrusion of the internet on our children's development is like a Pandora's box that we may never close.



Troubled Youth contest entry


I do not have kids, but have the seen the difference in children that have had plenty of quality time with their parents and those who did not. The impact parents have on their lives seem to be until about 12 years old, after then, it might be too late to connect. That's what I think.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Alawa at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.