Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted September 30, 2018 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Did I mention we're alone in the galaxy?

A chapter in the book Non-Fiction

Unbelievable, Dude

by michaelcahill

Your beliefs: Why do they matter? Contest Winner 
















 

Beliefs. There's a broad category. I believe that key lime pie is delicious. I believe "You Light Up My Life" is a good movie, despite virtually everyone with a top ten worst movie list including it. I think the musical score of Avatar ruins the movie, and I didn't care for it much to begin with.
 
But, I suppose, most people aren't interested in those beliefs, when discussing beliefs.
 
God? Yep, I believe in God … there is one. There could only be one. Anyone, therefore, who does believe, believes in the same one. That makes quite a few arguments, not to mention wars, seem absurd. Is it a leap in logic to believe humans are not the pinnacle of lifeforms in the universe? Surely, there is a force greater than us. Perhaps, it has something to do with electricity. Somehow, all the neurons collect and the good neurons bond together and battle the naughty ones. God, a force greater than us, yes, I believe so. I have no idea what the nature of said force might be. I'm sure it isn't a grey-bearded old man sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a pipe, tossing thunderbolts at sinners … we're here aren't we?
 
I also believe in Jesus. I have no problem calling him the Son of God, or with anyone believing so literally. I have no problem with anyone believing every word of the Bible literally. I'm only interested in results. If your belief causes you to harm others, then your belief sucks. If your belief causes you to uplift and help others, then I applaud your beliefs regardless of how you choose to portray them.
 
I take Mary and Joseph, for instance, to be examples of male and female ideals. Joseph, loyal and faithful to a wife who is the scourge of the community … a woman seemingly impregnated out of wedlock by someone other than her betrothed. Joseph, thought to be a fool, remaining loyal, believing and standing by his woman, regardless of what any outside influence throws at him. Mary, innocent and powerful, standing tall despite her entire world being turned upside down, the epitome of female, unbowed, the protector of her unborn baby at any cost. Whether one believes the literal Bible tale, or takes it metaphorically, what difference? The examples are there to see, learn from and emulate. Am I a fool to believe such silliness as a virgin birth … a woman impregnated by God? So what? 
 
Jesus, the ideal person. The Son of God, perfection to emulate. It doesn't matter, again, if you believe he is literally the Son of God in my view. It matters you follow his teachings and believe in his message. Again, if you are doing harm to anyone, I don't believe you understand, or are following the intent of his teaching or example. To me, the message is simple. Do good, don't harm, ask for forgiveness with true regret and you will receive it. A fine model to live by. I see the crux of his teaching at play on the cross.
 
On the cross, he faces horrific death and remains true to his beliefs. The two people who are condemned to die with him are representative of typical humans I would say. The one, making excuses, trying to justify his bad behavior even with his last breath. The other, even though he has nothing to gain, showing compassion for the injustice happening to Jesus. He acknowledges that Jesus has done nothing to deserve this fate. He further goes on to admit he does deserve this fate and regrets the life he has led. He asks Jesus for forgiveness. Jesus, despite his own dire circumstance, still has the compassion to forgive him. This is the basis of my faith.
 
I will make note, and this is of critical importance to my belief system, Jesus asks this man no questions. He doesn't inquire if the man is gay, or what his belief system is, what he does or doesn't own, what his point of view is on any matter or any qualifying question of ANY kind. He simply acknowledges the confession, the regret and the request for forgiveness. That is redemption.
 
I don't believe it is possible to prove the existence of God or that Jesus is the Son of God. Indeed, I don't think it is possible to prove much of the Bible other than it is a collection of manuscripts considered important enough to preserve, sometimes at great cost. Therefore, any belief in any of it, is simply a matter of faith.
 
I also don't believe it is possible to disprove any of the above either. That leads me to the conclusion, I can't prove it's true, you can't prove it's false. Therefore, it can only be believed or disbelieved. It isn't logical to tell me, "You believe in something that isn't true." It's fine though to tell me, "I don't believe it."
 
Yes, there's no question anyone can be a perfectly wonderful person WITHOUT believing in any of it. One doesn't have to believe in God to be good. One doesn't have to believe in the teachings of Jesus to lead a lifestyle following a like path. 

I feel a presence within. That is my personal empirical proof. No, that certainly can't be used to convince you. However, there are quite a few others who share a like experience. Still though, I acknowledge, not proof.

Indeedy do, there are a plethera of "Christians" that make me cringe. There are millions of nasty, vicious folk parading around under the banner of one faith or another committing atrocities. Anyone can call themselves anything they want ... it's only words.

My favourite hymn at church has the line, "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love ...". I'm loathe to even call myself a Christian considering the company some might associate me with. I'd be satisfied to be observed and hear, "Hey, he seems like a pretty good guy".
 
Science doesn't challenge my beliefs in the slightest. That the world is amazing and piques my curiosity is wonderful, and I pursue curiosity to the fullest. I love dinosaurs and trying to figure out how all of this came to be. Sure, God created it, if you will, but HOW did he do it? He just did is for someone in a rocking chair falling asleep. Give me a shovel, and point me to a dig!
 
Well, this is off the top of my head and rambling as I am wont to do. Beliefs are complex. I could go on and on explaining what I believe the nature of God might be. But I have no problem simply saying, "I believe in God". The cool thing is, God believes in me. How many of you can say that? HA!

I could go on ...

 


Writing Prompt
So the title is the text. This is the sort of "pre-class" essay I would assign when I was in school, because I am a collector of different beliefs. This contest is designed to be for anyone. What I have discovered is that serious self-reflection helps the writer to fully find their voice. It is a distinction that sometimes does not matter. If nothing else what you write will be terribly honest. What I want is an essay of a minimum of 500 words telling me about the thing you believe in more than anything, why is this important to you, and how you react when someone disagrees with you. Do you shake your head and smile or does it boil into complete outrage? Be honest. Say why a different belief may offend you.

No book length discussions, please. I am, feel free to send it to me, feel free. I will read it. You will not be considered for the competition, because how much time do you think I have to read your all of your bullshit?

Good luck. I am very much looking forward to this. Have a couple days . . .

Your beliefs: Why do they matter?
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.